Evans PD Jammer Attempt

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping that some Western New York scanner users in and around Evans, NY can help with a little problem.
Someone using a Baofeng or other CCR has been TRYING to jam the Evans PD voters by throwing random key chunks and often transmitting dogs barking.
I have reported this, along with scanner recordings made on Pro Scan to the department AND County.
I'm asking anyone between the Seneca Nation(Irving) and Hamburg to listen to 155.790, with no tone!
The carrier has a two toned roger beep and depending on the weather, from my location between Derby and Angola, the signal ranges from medium to full meter on my 996P2.
I've been trying to drive around with my mobile and portable to see if I can get close enough to pick this person up without the antenna attached but they just don't seem to stay active that long.
Thankfully this individual is only 1/3 stupid enough to pull this off effectively. It would be nice to find them before they figure out how to trip a toned repeater.
So, if you live in those areas mentioned, let me know if you hear them and how strong they are.
Thank you.
73's all.
KC2CQD and former PSD #79
Listen Here: Evans Jammer.mp3

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
see if I can get close enough to pick this person up without the antenna attached but they just don't seem to stay active that long.

That person could be a member here on these forums and know you are trying to locate them since you posted back in December.

What did the Police dept and county say about the matter when you called them?

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
I emailed both with as much info as I could give along with a copy of the WAV I recorded direct off Pro Scan ( I love that feature ).

The PD ( whom I worked for as a dispatcher for a while ) asked me to keep them updated. When I'm buzzing around town I do monitor in an attempt to at least get a directional fix.

The guy from Erie County Comms, who usually works alone, was really troubled by the situation but I believe just has limited time and resources to spend, tracking something that happens completely at random times and for random duration. On the plus side, he's local so if he does hear it, he knows what to do I'm sure.

I actually had a suspect in mind whom I know, but I was able to prove that I can't hear him on his handheld from his place to mine, not on VHF nor UHF simplex.
I'm hoping at this point, it's not someone with a higher powered mobile on the Canadian side, as I'm pretty close to Lake Erie.

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber

That person could be a member here on these forums and know you are trying to locate them since you posted back in December.

I got zero response from that post and the issue is ongoing whence the new thread

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
We had a local PD with this issue, the person went as far as to call in a fake officer needs assistance call
They upgraded to P25 with full-time encryption, and the radios were set up to RX encrypted comms only in case he got a Digital radio
Problem Solved for them

trumpetman

Database Admin
Is it truly a simplex system on 155.79, or is 155.79 the input or output to a repeater?

We've had two cases in North Carolina with folks buying Baofeng radios to use as scanners and inadvertently enabling VOX. This caused random key-ups due to loud nearby noises, like dogs barking, without any direct input from the unknowing user.

If 155.79 is simplex or the repeater output, that may explain the CSQ usage if they've just punched the frequency in hoping to just listen to traffic.

Of course this is just an idea based on previous experiences, it could very well be malicious too, i.e. Hanlon's razor.

BTFire21

Evans PD is a repeated system so your statement of trying to "jam the voters" is not accurate at all. Voting rx would be on the input frequency not the output.
Dispatch nor the cars notice anything at all and it is not jamming anything. Ignore the moron and move on. If it becomes an issue the PD will file a complaint with the FCC and the real investigation will begin.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Interesting they didn't setup their voting system to prevent this type thing but probably the older microwave type voting in basic analog. P25 p2 on 700 is way to go. Even vhf or uhf p25 voting systems with proper settings in place stop this stuff.

RF-Burns

Interesting they didn't setup their voting system to prevent this type thing but probably the older microwave type voting in basic analog. P25 p2 on 700 is way to go. Even vhf or uhf p25 voting systems with proper settings in place stop this stuff.
You obviously do not know the area. Erie County is mainly UHF with some left over VHF.

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
Evans PD is a repeated system so your statement of trying to "jam the voters" is not accurate at all. Voting rx would be on the input frequency not the output.
Dispatch nor the cars notice anything at all and it is not jamming anything. Ignore the moron and move on. If it becomes an issue the PD will file a complaint with the FCC and the real investigation will begin.
They do use a 3 site voting system to cover terrain in Evans and also the Town of Brant/Village of Farnham. I've seen the control screen as I've worked there as a PSD. The P25 isn't in the budget.

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
Is it truly a simplex system on 155.79, or is 155.79 the input or output to a repeater?

We've had two cases in North Carolina with folks buying Baofeng radios to use as scanners and inadvertently enabling VOX. This caused random key-ups due to loud nearby noises, like dogs barking, without any direct input from the unknowing user.

If 155.79 is simplex or the repeater output, that may explain the CSQ usage if they've just punched the frequency in hoping to just listen to traffic.

Of course this is just an idea based on previous experiences, it could very well be malicious too, i.e. Hanlon's razor.
This is true, if you used the Baofeng software it does auto-populate the TX freq with the output(RX). I'm just glad they don't know the offset and tones. This is not a simplex system though.