event VS ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

Greeting,

Now that we has established/talked about the usage of EVENTS channels

Can anyone elaberate on the use of the "OPS" as the description shows that UCAN operates on,
refering to talbles the all counties...
Maybe does one county use there set for fire only, one for police only, or maybe a combination set

Let all get in on this one...

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Ops channels are quite frequently used by various groups like Metro Gang and JCAT. It has been my experience that they tend to be used on longer term engagements. I also think the Ops channels are used when there are multiple channels needed for a specific event.

I recently worked an event where we had 3 TGs assigned to us for the event and they were all ops channels. On another event, there was only one TG assigned and it was an event channel. I thought this one was funny as the event channel assigned was not the one for the county that I was in, but it was an event channel.

mrlthse

observations: events VS Ops

It is my observation then, To Be a solid monitor hobbiest:
You should always have all of the Ops, Events and regional channel programmed into yours monitoring shack equipmet.
This will allow you to stay on top of all the good action of public safety.

N7YUO

Back before UCAN and trunking, I programmed a scanner for a friend. One of the freqs was 155.505.
After a week, he remarked that the Statewide channel sucked. Nothing happens there. I said wait a month and see what happens. He changed his mind after he heard his first 10-80.

I would agree then that in anyone's program for any county or area, one should have the Event, Ops, and Regionals. In addition, there are TAC channels that come alive during intense situations. May counties have specific Search And Rescue (SAR) TGs. I program those in also.

N7YUO

Ops 7 in SL County (Gang)

Earlier I had mentioned that OPS 7 was used for the Gang cops.
Tonight, there was a shooting at 3900 S State Street. UHP was involved.
An officer on Ops 7 stated: "I'm not going down there. It will be a real mess."
"We need to have one guy go there and see if there is any GANG involvement."

Status
Not open for further replies.