Ever get a ticket for a mobile scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblinger

I was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten a ticket from police for having a mobile scanner in an area were it is illegal?? Is there a link to find out if it is illegal in your state?? I have looked everywhere and nothing, I am in SC. Thanks

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have never received a traffic summons as wanting to become a certified law enforcement officer, I dont engage in such dangerous practices, also many law enforcement officers know me & allow me to ride with them to hone my law enforcement skills which will make it easier to graduate from the local certified law enforcement academy.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Actually that map alone does not tell the whole story. You need to visit the site for an explanations behind the colors, and, more importantly, to read the actual laws to determine how they apply to you. For example, in many cases (but not all), licensed amateur radio operators are exempt from the prohibitions. I have had a scanner with me many times on trips, and never had any problems. However, I haven't been stopped for any infractions, and I certainly wouldn't flash it around if I were. So as with many things in life, discretion is a good thing.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
so in Minnesota scanners are completely illegal or just in a car

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Minnesota's law is about mobile scanners.

Do be aware that these law sites don't try to cover City or County laws, which may also prohibit mobile scanners, or even scanning at all. Heck, some of the ancient laws still on the books prohibit current day AM Radios!

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'll say what I've said for 40 years of scanning - Don't bring attention to the fact that you have a scanner and no one will care.

dwh367

I was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten a ticket from police for having a mobile scanner in an area were it is illegal?? Is there a link to find out if it is illegal in your state?? I have looked everywhere and nothing, I am in SC. Thanks

I was arrested by a rookie for walking down the street with my handheld scanner back in November of 1994. None of the veteran officers never bothered me. One of them talked him out of taking me to jail but since he did have a legitimate arrest, they couldn't talk him out of dropping the charges.

I was released on my own recognizance and paid a $115 fine on my court date. My scanner was later taken out of evidence and returned to me. Later on, the arresting officer actually apologized to me and I've never had any more trouble out of him since. Life in a small town, gotta love it.

kskarma

Never had a problem...but....still.....

I've had scanners in my cars for many years...both with...and without...outside antennas. I've never tried to conceal the antennas and at times, I've had as many as 3 extra ones sticking up in the air. In all the 30+ years I have been doing this, I've never had any problems..possibly due to the fact that I keep to the speed limit...and rarely give any reason for a LEO to stop me.

Having said that, I took the option of getting a ham license...first a Tech. Class about 10 years ago, and then upgraded to General about 4 years back. My primary reason for doing this was to have the ticket as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card if I ever was challenged about my scanners. As far as I've been able to find out, there are NO states where a Ham can be charged for having radios in the car...esp. if they can receive Ham frequencies..

So far, so good....10-4??

oh,,and from what ive gathered over the years,,
If the PD snags your radio for it being -prohibited-

kiss it goodbye,Or spend several days in front of a magistrate,ct clerk,or even a DA or judge..

lol,,get a new scanner,,its cheaper than a lawyer!

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
heck i heard of a police officer letting three youths out of his cruiser only to find out they stole his scanner he had with him , he turned around and tracked them down and charged them with theft and recovered his scanner

Scandxer

How about a Cell Phone with Online scanner capabilities ? Is that also included in these laws?

Listening to ANY police transmission while in a car would be illegal in those states I'm assuming?

If they could prove it anyway.

nyemt774

Premium Subscriber
Here in NY, It's illegal to have one in your car. I am a volunteer firefighter, I have one in my vehicle. Never had a problem even with an external antenna. I did read recently though of an incident where a person was stopped for another infraction, the scanner was heard going off by the officer and he charged the individual for having the scanner. I really haven't read or heard of anyone being stopped and having the scanner law used as the PRIMARY infraction. So, if you don't advertise, you're probably pretty safe...

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
what officer? This is just a NOAA Weather Radio, the EXPENSIVE DIGITAL model! lol see the Skywarn symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.