• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Everybody Should Know _ Especially The Women Out There !

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

MUST KNOW #77

I knew about the red light on cars, but not the #77. It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. *Lauren's parents have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc. *

Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the #77 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe & quiet place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.

*Speaking to a service representative at **Bell ** Mobility confirmed that #77 was a direct link to OPP Dispatch. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about #77.

fnnm1062

longtime member
well this is a nice tip, I dont know if it works or not, but if it does would be best used in Ontario Canada if it is a direct link to the OPP. It seems that would not be much of a help to someone in Michigan, we would probably dial 911.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
#77 is useless in all but a very few states, and even then it's to the state police and not necessarily your closest agency. If you have a question, dial 911. No need to remember other numbers.

ALWAYS go to snopes when you get something emailed to you that you think needs to be reposted. Lauren did not get saved from a rape that night...

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

hill

Premium Subscriber
Especially The Women Out There !

#77 is the cell phone number to some state police. I know it works in the State of Maryland and I think it works in the Virginia. In Maryland when you dail #77 you call is sent to the nearest state police barrack. Not used in North Carolina, since *HP is used in that state for State Highway Patrol. I would still use 911 in most urban areas, but use #77 in highway areas patrol by state police.

kc4jgc

I don't know where OPP is.......

In my travels the only states I know that have #77 to state police are VA, MD, DE & I think WV. Someone also told me SC has this. Normally, when one enters a state there is a small sign telling you what the cell link to the state police/highway patrol is for that state with more signs scattered throughout that state. Even then some areas might not be covered. For instance, when SunCom was in Virginia, #77 did NOT work in the Richmond/Petersburg and Charlottesville areas,(something about no contractual agreements) but did work everywhere else. 911 does work everywhere there is cellular service.

car2back

*55 is a direct line to the Oklahoma HIghway Patrol in my area. your're better off using 911 though.

Last edited:

pathalogical

kc4jgc said:
I don't know where OPP is.......

In my travels the only states I know that have #77 to state police are VA, MD, DE & I think WV. Someone also told me SC has this. Normally, when one enters a state there is a small sign telling you what the cell link to the state police/highway patrol is for that state with more signs scattered throughout that state. Even then some areas might not be covered. For instance, when SunCom was in Virginia, #77 did NOT work in the Richmond/Petersburg and Charlottesville areas,(something about no contractual agreements) but did work everywhere else. 911 does work everywhere there is cellular service.
Ontario Provincial Police, our version of State Troopers. I guess you could call them Provincial Troopers ! As a Bell Mobility customer I haven't heard of #77, but there is *OPP ( * 677 ) http://www.opp.ca/ Interesting story about Lauren.

rdale

No, it's a bad story since it gives a number that won't work in 90% or more of the readers...

N

N_Jay

phil_smith said:
Still a good story to get the message across.
No its a bad story, because it encourages belief in bad information.

Lets give people facts not myths.

kb2vxa

Banned
Never mind all that, the message is never pull over for an unmarked car, you don't have to. If it's real he'll call for marked backup and THEN pull over. You may get some static from the under cover but "How am I to know you didn't buy that light on the dash at Pep Boys?" will shut him up. I know, it happened to me and the patrolman in the marked car backed me up on it.

rdale

Again - odds of anyone remembering the specific code in every state are nil. Needing that info - nil.

Odds of being pulled over by an UNMARKED car - pretty close to nil. Close enough to say - nil.

Call 911 if you are being pulled over and worried, it's not a big deal. Calling the state police post when you're in podunk won't do you a bit of good.

dintimid8or

West Virginia

In West Virginina, motorists may dial *SP (*77) for the nearest state police dispatch or 911. True story or not, fake cops, road rage incidents and drunk drivers need to be reported.

stevie621

I have vergin mobil and I tried #77 and it doesn't work. I called the company and they have never heard of it. Glad they got that guy though

Status
Not open for further replies.