• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EVX-5400 in race car

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDixonRacer

Hi, we have been using EVX-531 and EVX-534 for car to pit communications in road racing applications for a few years. We are going to try some endurance racing and so we bought a EVX-5400 to mount in the car. I am having some trouble getting this radio set up. I have the programming cables and software for all of these radios. I purchased a harness from www.RacingRadios.com to use with the mobile unit, but it was setup for use with a Motorola CM-200D. I changed the connector to the DB-15 shell for the EVX-5400 and attempted to make the proper connections.

The audio transmitted from the EVX-5400 is great.
The audio in the earphones from the EVX-5400 is terrible. There is a constant hum and there is no way to change the volume. The audio received is somewhat garbled as well.
The speaker on the front is always active and I see no way to disable it in the programming software, but maybe I missed the setting somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Brandon Dixon

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Brandon, it sounds like the wiring could be off and/or the earphones are not fully compatible. It could be an impedance issue and may require a matching transformer to get the best audio output.

Check Page 4 of the EVX service manual for a detailed explanation of the wiring. You can download the service manual from my link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0onsxyhkiwic6b/Vertex_EVX-5300_5400_serv.pdf?raw=1

As far as the volume is concerned, I believe most manufacturer's leave this up to the external accessories to control this level and thus the audio level is fixed from the radio itself. This is by design.

To disable the front speaker, I wonder if a termination plug on the loudspeaker jack would work..? I don't believe that would affect the audio output from the 15-pin port.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.