Excellent hardware for streaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
?

Another alternative?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9050206&type=product&id=1218012526050

In store price $199.

Comes with keyboard, and screen built in. I am going to assume they are stackable too. Should have enough power to run streaming software and a few usb sound cards along with the built in sound.

Overall, may involve less work setting up + a few added features.

Would you mind letting me know what this is? The link doesn't work..I am interested to see what you were talking about.

I'm looking at a thin client but haven't made up my mind yet..Also could a person get a thin client and then install the programs on a USB external 16 Gig ssd drive instead of trying to get it to work on the 256 or 512 that they come with? You would still have no moving parts and have more room to work with and you could use any thin client that has winxp embedded..Cheers..Keithmj

dwh367

Great thread. I may be interested in switching to one of these. I noticed some of them don't have a line input, only mic input. I have never streamed using the mic input, seems kind of harsh since we are already forced to use the speaker output of a scanner. Anyone have sound quality issues using the mic input???

I know this was wrote back in January but I only recently began experimenting with streaming my scanner. I use the microphone input on mine with the boost turned off. I then adjust the volume on my scanner until the VU meter, on my sound card software, shows just under where it starts to clip. It seems to have clean audio with that configuration.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I know this was wrote back in January but I only recently began experimenting with streaming my scanner. I use the microphone input on mine with the boost turned off. I then adjust the volume on my scanner until the VU meter, on my sound card software, shows just under where it starts to clip. It seems to have clean audio with that configuration.

That's the secret, turn off the "Microphone Boost" under Recording -> Advanced on the standard Windows mixer.

Happily, some modern Uniden scanners have a line output, but you must be careful to program the desired (or all) channels to allow audio to pass to that jack. This is what Uniden calls the "Record" toggle setting for VOX activated tape recorders and recording utilities. This way you get a line level output at about 1000 Ohm which is a better match than the speaker output.

It also means you avoid the embarrassment of ruining your feed audio when someone cranks the volume up because they can't hear the thing. DOH!

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
I picked up two Termtek TK-3370 from Ebay and have been setting them up for my scanners and both have RealVNC so I don't need to install that. If you use the files by Gordon from ScanAmerica.us then you don't need to add any other programs. I am able to use a USB iMic by griffin and can run both scanners off the same thin client but I will probably just have one on each client. The Termtek TK-3370 also has two eSata ports in the rear and I can't wait to see how these work when I receive my eSata flash drives. The thin clients are a good way to stream your scanners. It would be nice if some of the program makers came out with software made for Portable-Apps or U3 so we could use Flash Drives and not be stuck at 512mb or 1G. If you just want to surf the net and don't plan on adding any other programs then these are for you as you can just run the portable-App programs that are available..Cheers..Keithmj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.