expected life of LED lights in display panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity does anyone know the expectant life of the display panel lights for a scanner like the Uniden BC796D?
Are they readily replaceable?

sjlamb

Generally speaking... you're 796D will be long obsolete before an LED burns out. With a typical life expectancy of 50,000 hours for LEDs, 10 hours of use per day would yield about 13.5 years.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve, that's what I suspected.
I just bought this 796D and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I already have a 996t and a Pro 106 and had always wanted the 796D when they came out but couldn't afford it.
It's mint. I've got here running and it works great.

prc117f

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the expectant life of the display panel lights for a scanner like the Uniden BC796D?
Are they readily replaceable?

I would say 5 years under 24/7 operation.

LEDs usually have a lifespan of 50K hours.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Is the 996T the same type blub? a few people had the GREEN light go out far under 5-10 years of use..

I understand its not the exact same bulb as its a multi-colour but lifespan was maybe 1-2 years on some units

I would say 5 years under 24/7 operation.

LEDs usually have a lifespan of 50K hours.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I dont know why, but I have seen it.

The 996T units are from mid 2006.. and maybe the green was on 24 hours a day 7 days a week,
maybe they were in tow trucks and severe heat/cold conditions

be interesting to see how long the current ones go for

again its only been a couple units of the 100 I have seen, its not a widespread problem

how could the green light go out on the 996 t already ?
the radio is only about 3 years old isnt it ? i know it hasnt even been out for 5 years yet.

John_M

kennyloatman Wrote:

But are they replaceable ?

Uniden should very well be able to replace the LED with an led of the same specs. If you can find the part number and do a google search on them you can probably get five or so for about $10.00, then you can do it yourself. You can't put any old color in because different color LEDs have different voltage and current requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.