Expired/about to expire FCC licenses for operation on T-Band frequencies in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, or Passaic Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
We are gonna have to agree to disagree on that one
Just curious, what are you basing your opinion on? I'm not suggesting that some sites might not have too few channels, but that's more to do with too much FDMA activity on the system robbing resources. The system itself, the core and zone controller, are nowhere near capacity yet. That's just a fact, not opinion.

K2NEC

Just curious, what are you basing your opinion on? I'm not suggesting that some sites might not have too few channels, but that's more to do with too much FDMA activity on the system robbing resources. The system itself, the core and zone controller, are nowhere near capacity yet. That's just a fact, not opinion.
Yea I'll take your word on that. I have heard that there are people being bonked out of the system due to capacity issues. They were being bonked in places they normally have good coverage.

Not to mention there are silly things on a statewide system like crossing guards for example. Why crossing guards need to be on a statewide system with $3000 radios beats me but I sure think it's a waste of TG's.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yea I'll take your word on that. I have heard that there are people being bonked out of the system due to capacity issues. They were being bonked in places they normally have good coverage.

Not to mention there are silly things on a statewide system like crossing guards for example. Why crossing guards need to be on a statewide system with $3000 radios beats me but I sure think it's a waste of TG's.
I don't disagree with you, but a lot of those issues are human issues vs technology issues.

There are so many FDMA talkgroups from the SmartZone system hogging channel resources that would be available with TDMA, and some of them are active a lot such as the NJSP on certain sites, or the DEP, etc. The non-public safety talkgroups suck also, however it is worth pointing out that the NJICS started out life as "the DOT system". In fact most of the original simulcast cells are/were named "DOT Cell #" lol

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Awaiting FCC approval on the renewal, delayed on the FCCs end due to COVID.
It's not delayed do to COVID, it's in limbo due to the FCC's nationwide freeze on T-Band license renewals issued in Dec 2019. That's the whole point of this thread, please read the first couple of posts.

ansky

Baffled me too until I realized that someone who is unable to monitor a particular "single site/local transmitter" agency due to topography issues (e.g. a mountain range), may benefit if that agency moves to a multi-location simulcast system.

Exactly! I live less than a mile from Montclair and less than 2 miles from Verona and I was never able to pick up either of these departments on their respective TRS' due to topography. Now that they are on NJICS I can monitor them with no problem.

ansky

Sure that's nice and all but I really dont need to hear x department 40 miles from that town.

Why not? What's the downside of having extra agencies to listen to? I live 35 miles from New Brunswick and I love being able to hear their FD on NJICS from my home. I was never able to hear them on their conventional channel.

K2NEC

I don't disagree with you, but a lot of those issues are human issues vs technology issues.

There are so many FDMA talkgroups from the SmartZone system hogging channel resources that would be available with TDMA, and some of them are active a lot such as the NJSP on certain sites, or the DEP, etc. The non-public safety talkgroups suck also, however it is worth pointing out that the NJICS started out life as "the DOT system". In fact most of the original simulcast cells are/were named "DOT Cell #" lol
And look at it now, more and more departments are migrating to it lol

Why not? What's the downside of having extra agencies to listen to? I live 35 miles from New Brunswick and I love being able to hear their FD on NJICS from my home. I was never able to hear them on their conventional channel.
As nice as it is to hear something like Bloomfield PD from my house, I just don't see the point unless I am in town or in the area. I will say, there are some channels I wanted to monitor because of where I work that wasn't possible if they weren't on the state system. So I definitely do see both sides of it

Sure that's nice and all but I really dont need to hear x department 40 miles from that town.
I moved away from the town that I grew up in, but still enjoy listening to the fire department there. Fortunately for me, I'm close enough to still monitor their VHF frequency. But there are many scanner enthusiasts who are blocked by man made & natural obstacles from hearing their respective home towns. The wide area simulcast systems make monitoring home towns possible for some of them.

markjrenna

How dare you disagree with others on here! You will conform and have the same thoughts and opinions devoid of fact!!! :ROFLMAO:

chazcarly

So Looking at RR , I don't understand why I cant here Bloomingdale PD any more, I'm only 5 miles north and they use to come in clear on the 471.8000 at night when Pompton dispatches them?
I don't see a New DMR that says PD?

K2NEC

NParkNJ

On the Road
So Looking at RR , I don't understand why I cant here Bloomingdale PD any more, I'm only 5 miles north and they use to come in clear on the 471.8000 at night when Pompton dispatches them?
I don't see a New DMR that says PD?
Yeah they’ve been on there for awhile now.
Overnight Pompton still dispatches them. Everything is on DMR. Make sure to listen to the DMR on a scanner, radio won’t work for them. They are using RAS.

chazcarly

Yeah they’ve been on there for awhile now.
Overnight Pompton still dispatches them. Everything is on DMR. Make sure to listen to the DMR on a scanner, radio won’t work for them. They are using RAS.
So if you could explain, How do I program them on my 996 if there not in RR data base. I guess i would have to input it manually? Not sure on doing that. Do I have to input all 3 Control Freq.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.