Expired/about to expire FCC licenses for operation on T-Band frequencies in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, or Passaic Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FCC froze T-Band renewals nationwide in Dec 2019 in preparation for the auction of the band.

FCC records indicate that the following municipalities (and county/state agencies) located in either Bergen, Essex, Hudson, or Passaic Counties are currently operating on T-Band frequencies with FCC licenses that have either already expired, or will expire by 12/31/2021:

Bergen County Sheriff’s Office
Bogota
Carlstadt
Cliffside Park
Dumont
East Rutherford
Lodi

Bloomingdale
Pompton Lakes
Wayne
Woodland Park

Essex County Sheriff’s Office
Bloomfield
Orange
UMDNJ PD

Hoboken
Secaucus

I wonder if some or all of these agencies will move off of T-Band prior to the expiration of their respective FCC licenses, or just continue to operate. Maybe special authorizations will be requested of the FCC and granted?

markjrenna

There are more towns on T Band. Like Totowa... Cedar Grove... I'm sure more. Would be nice to go in the clear NJICS... Wishful thinking by me.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
"By this Public Notice, the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (Bureaus) announce that, until further notice, they will accept, but not grant, applications to renew Part 22 and Part 90 licenses for operation in the 470-512 MHz band (T-Band). Licensees that have filed, and will in the future file, timely and complete applications for renewal of license may continue to operate using their licensed facilities past the license expiration date while the suspension is in effect."

Source: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-19-1225A1.pdf

Licensees that have filed, and will in the future file, timely and complete applications for renewal of license may continue to operate using their licensed facilities past the license expiration date while the suspension is in effect."
This to me means that even though license renewals will not be granted, licensees must still file renewal applications in a timely manner in order to continue operating their licensed facilities past the license expiration date. I wonder how many licensees are submitting applications prior to the expiration of their licenses, and what the penalty is for not filing an application, and continuing to operate past the license's expiration date, even though renewals aren't being granted?

NParkNJ

On the Road
Pompton Lakes and Riverdale PD currently share 471.8000.

Bloomingdale already moved to non-Tband UHF DMR.

Pompton Lakes fire is 500mhz, Riverdale fire is TBand 472 mhz.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few whom are stuck. Some continue to operate despite license expiration.
5423E254-4D3A-4AED-830A-481AA113EB07.png

Pompton Lakes and Riverdale PD currently share 471.8000.

Bloomingdale already moved to non-Tband UHF DMR.

Pompton Lakes fire is 500mhz, Riverdale fire is TBand 472 mhz.
The license for 471.800 expires on 06/08/2021
The license for Pompton Lakes OEM's T-Band channel expires on 06/01/2021
Riverdale Fire's T-Band license expired on 06/10/2020

magic_lantern

"markjrenna said:
There are more towns on T Band. Like Totowa... Cedar Grove... I'm sure more. Would be nice to go in the clear NJICS... Wishful thinking by me."
"Be Careful what you wish for....... "

This has always baffled me as well , why anyone who can currently monitor a town on a good old simple radio would want them to switch to a system that requires an expensive radio that could become worthless in an instant.

"Be Careful what you wish for....... "

This has always baffled me as well , why anyone who can currently monitor a town on a good old simple radio would want them to switch to a system that requires an expensive radio that could become worthless in an instant.
Baffled me too until I realized that someone who is unable to monitor a particular "single site/local transmitter" agency due to topography issues (e.g. a mountain range), may benefit if that agency moves to a multi-location simulcast system.

jaymatt1978

All this excitement there's going to be another delay I b et. This IS a mess because departments are still getting waivers and delays. We won't know exactly when it's happening until it's happened

K2NEC

Baffled me too until I realized that someone who is unable to monitor a particular "single site/local transmitter" agency due to topography issues (e.g. a mountain range), may benefit if that agency moves to a multi-location simulcast system.
Sure that's nice and all but I really dont need to hear x department 40 miles from that town. Not to mention NJICS is already overloaded and adding more towns to it will increase the stress on an already full system.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Everyone wishes for agencies to move to digital, or NJICS specifically. And at that rate, look at Clifton, and a few others from Essex/Union County area who joined.

I hope agencies stay exactly where they are.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not to mention NJICS is already overloaded and adding more towns to it will increase the stress on an already full system.
The system is far from overloaded or full. There are much larger ASTRO 25 systems out there that have 10x as many sites, 10x as many talkgroups, 100x as many subscribers, and are far more active than the NJICS.

K2NEC

The system is far from overloaded or full. There are much larger ASTRO 25 systems out there that have 10x as many sites, 10x as many talkgroups, 100x as many subscribers, and are far more active than the NJICS.
We are gonna have to agree to disagree on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.