Expired HAM License

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not sure this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

Got a tech licence back in, 1993, or so.

I checked out of the hobby for almost two decades, and my license expired. Any chance of getting it re-instated, or do I have to start from scratch????

Grumpy Aero Guy

W2NJS

They give you only two years to renew after expiration of the license without any testing. Sorry about that.
Fortunately it's gotten to be a somewhat easier process than it once was, especially since now there is no code proficiency test, just the written stuff.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, it was kinda my fault and life getting in the way. Company had sent me overseas for a couple of years right around the time the ten years were up....so, it lapsed.

Grumpy
Ex-KB8OPW

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Also consider that you did pass the test earlier, there's no reason that with a little brush up you couldn't pass it again. Furthermore, why not go a little beyond a brush up and take the general too?

Good Luck

Token

Fortunately it's gotten to be a somewhat easier process than it once was, especially since now there is no code proficiency test, just the written stuff.

In 1993 when the OP was first licensed there was no code requirement for Tech (no-code Tech started in 91). And I think the same number of questions on the test then and now, although I honestly am not sure about that.

The steps to picking up Tech today are the same as they have been for a couple decades, but from 1991 to 2000 you had the option of being a "Tech +" with code (allowing Novice HF privileges). From 2000 on there was only one "class" of Tech license, whether you did the code or not (but still a no-code Tech was not allowed HF). From 2007 on there has been no difference in privileges between a Tech with code and a no-code Tech, and of course from that date all new Tech, General, or Extra licensees are no-code.

T!

W2NJS

My comment regarding the code requirement was intended as an incentive and point of information and nothing more. The OP may or may not have been code-capable when he was licensed and I frankly don't see any need to comment further on the matter.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
In 1993 when the OP was first licensed there was no code requirement for Tech (no-code Tech started in 91). And I think the same number of questions on the test then and now, although I honestly am not sure about that.

The steps to picking up Tech today are the same as they have been for a couple decades, but from 1991 to 2000 you had the option of being a "Tech +" with code (allowing Novice HF privileges). From 2000 on there was only one "class" of Tech license, whether you did the code or not (but still a no-code Tech was not allowed HF). From 2007 on there has been no difference in privileges between a Tech with code and a no-code Tech, and of course from that date all new Tech, General, or Extra licensees are no-code.

T!

Actually, this is evoking memories. I recall when I took the test, that there were two options. Tech WITH code, and Tech W/O code.

If I am remembering correctly, the no-code test was a slight bit longer.

I chose to do the code piece....I really wanted to learn code, and I did pass it. I bought the ARRL morse code practice cassettes and listened to them in my car for months. Didn't take all that long until I got the hang of it.

No one else in my class did the code part, which I couldn't understand it at the time. Funny thing was, the class I took back then was taught by two local HAM gods. I took the code part first, afterwhich I took the written test. Turns out they accidentally gave me the longer written test after I had passed the code portion.... LOL.... which I passed as well.

jeeeez.... great memories.....

I am going to look into brushing up and taking the test again.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Actually, this is evoking memories. I recall when I took the test, that there were two options. Tech WITH code, and Tech W/O code.

If I am remembering correctly, the no-code test was a slight bit longer.

I chose to do the code piece....I really wanted to learn code, and I did pass it. I bought the ARRL morse code practice cassettes and listened to them in my car for months. Didn't take all that long until I got the hang of it.

No one else in my class did the code part, which I couldn't understand it at the time. Funny thing was, the class I took back then was taught by two local HAM gods. I took the code part first, afterwhich I took the written test. Turns out they accidentally gave me the longer written test after I had passed the code portion.... LOL.... which I passed as well.

jeeeez.... great memories.....

I am going to look into brushing up and taking the test again.

If you want a study book,this one is good.I have used it myself.

Gordon West Technician Class GWTM

Tramagod

I had to go through the same thing some years ago. Got my first ticket in '88,first as a novice, then to Tech, and I let my license expire when I move to Texas in '99. Had to start all over and still do the code, but no regrets here. I think in the long run it was all worth it. Now I just can't motivate myself to study for the Extra class. And I did get my old original Tech call through the Vanity program.

MikeRz

Similar experience

I have a similar experience. I held a Technician class ticket back in the early '70s (WB6VGE) but eventually let it expire due to work, family, etc. Now my son is interested in becoming a Ham and has suggested I become one with him. I see now that if I take the Technician test again and show proof that I held a previous ticket from way back I will automatically be issued a General ticket.

My question is how can I obtain proof that I held a license? Can I get proof from the FCC or what?

Thanks for your help

Mike

MikeRz

Just took my technician test today and passed. I showed them a letter the FCC sent me stating I held a technician license since 1973 and was immediately upgraded to general. Seems that the technician test from pre-1987 was the same as the general test then except that the code requirement was reduced from 13 wpm to 5 wpm. Now that there is no code requirement they are giving credit for element 3 (general). Had I not allowed my technician ticket to expire I would have been upgraded to general without having to re-take the technician test (element 2) Now I just have to take element 4 and I can get my extra class. This is the first thing the government has ever given me. How could I pass it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.