Explain Detected Signal & IQ Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

I have an Alinco DJ-X11 that has 2 features I'm trying to understand, detected signal and IQ output. I'm hoping someone can explain these to me in idiot terms, b/c I've read the explanations several times, googled, and it's still not sinking in. I want to decode PSK31 and mess around with some SDR software. I've attempted PSk31 using the audio output option, the detected signal, and IQ output. I do notice differences in the audio and the rainfall between the diff ways I've tried it. Can someone explain and relate the diff types of outputs to what I'm trying to do.

As a bonus, how should the radio and SDR software be configured in terms of modes. For example, radio in USB, should SDR be in RAW or USB to match? Of course this all depends on which function I'm using (and clueless on).

Detected signal output function
Some digital signals, such as 9600 bps high-speed packet communication of amateur radio, use modulation methods called FSK or GMSK. Conse- quently, these signals cannot be received properly with the DJ-X11 which receives filtered audio signals such as 1200 bps AFSK packets. In such a case, you may be able to receive data communication by inputting the signals to a dedicated connecting device (TNC, etc.) or a PC.

IQ signal output function
The DJ-X11 can output IQ signals from the earphone jack. By connecting the earphone jack and the PC's MIC/LINE IN input port with a commer- cially-available cable with ø3.5 mm stereo mini-plugs on both ends (the specification is the same as the cable used for the Cable-clone function described on P. 98), you can use SDR (Software Defined Radio) pro- grams to enjoy reception on the PC using software available on the Inter- net. Since some of these programs offer functions which are unavailable with the DJ-X11 such as DSP (Digital Signal Processor), this function will expand the fun of "watching".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the reference radio is not an amateur radio transceiver, I've moved it to the All Other Scanner Manufacturers forum.

If the moderator here wishes to merge this thread with the referenced thread, he's free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.