exploring the talk groups on KNJU695 AND WQIF657

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

Greeting everyone from Utah,
In the last few weeks I've been exploring the talk groups of KNJU695 AND WQIF657 (Both listed inSalt Lake County).
And have noted that at times both systems broadcast the same talk group numbers either simulcast or one the then other
Has any one done any logging of such nature, and can confirm both callsign share the same process
Or is there any one who can use a software program thast can do that.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think you're putting a bit too much emphasis on the individual call signs, instead of focusing on the homogeneous nature of a trunked system. As I previously explained in one of your other threads, a call sign related to a trunked system can cover more than one physical transmitter location, which may or may not all be part of the same trunked site (for a simulcast cell). Additionally, one trunked site or simulcast cell can often be covered under multiple call signs.

To put it simply: if you focus too narrowly on individual call signs, you're often missing the bigger picture. Focus instead on the trunked system itself and the sites that make up the system, which are all listed in the RR database, and less so on the frequencies on a specific FCC license.

A trunked system is designed to function as a single entity, with talkgroups often active at multiple sites throughout the system, depending on which radios (known as subscribers) are active and are requesting a particular talkgroup at a site.

mrlthse

Greeting everyone from Utah,
In the last few weeks I've been exploring the talk groups of KNJU695 AND WQIF657 (Both listed inSalt Lake County).
And have noted that at times both systems broadcast the same talk group numbers either simulcast or one the then other
Has any one done any logging of such nature, and can confirm both callsign share the same process
Or is there any one who can use a software program thast can do that.
With further research,
I have found that these two callsign share eight (08) of the same frequency
I guess thats why I am picking up duplicated pieces of traffic off of my different programmed radio here in Davis County.
That explains a lot.

mrlthse

I think you're putting a bit too much emphasis on the individual call signs, instead of focusing on the homogeneous nature of a trunked system. As I previously explained in one of your other threads, a call sign related to a trunked system can cover more than one physical transmitter location, which may or may not all be part of the same trunked site (for a simulcast cell). Additionally, one trunked site or simulcast cell can often be covered under multiple call signs.

To put it simply: if you focus too narrowly on individual call signs, you're often missing the bigger picture. Focus instead on the trunked system itself and the sites that make up the system, which are all listed in the RR database, and less so on the frequencies on a specific FCC license.

A trunked system is designed to function as a single entity, with talkgroups often active at multiple sites throughout the system, depending on which radios (known as subscribers) are active and are requesting a particular talkgroup at a site.
I have done my research and yes,
I agree on the physical transmitter point.
many callsigns have many transmitter point.

mrlthse

Sir,
I am just trying to figure / source these all out.
Except for one or two here in Utah,
There is no one else I can bounce my thought and questions off of,
That why I earned my extra class Amateur radio licensee, To learn more about the hobby.
Like, I have not yet received an answer about the System " Question,
What do they mean and how do they apply,
I am retired from the Federal Govt (US Air Force-Civilian) and have a agreeable amount of free time now,
(COVID -19 does not help either) I just want to monitor my old career field people (Security and Police) with out getting out of my office.
Any assist in educationing me would be appreicated.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The point I'm trying to make is that the system is already in the RR database, with all of the information you need to program your scanner. It seems that you are plugging in individual frequencies from licenses and scanning them conventionally, rather than programming your local sites and scanning them in trunked mode.

In any event, I'm trying to point out that you may be trying to listen to this system in an inefficient manner, based on your mention of individual call signs in most of your recent threads. Seeing as how I'm nowhere near Utah, I'm going to bow out of this discussion and let some locals provide you with advice.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Give me a call We can get together. and I'm sure, clear up some questions and concerns.
I think you already have my number.

mrlthse

The point I'm trying to make is that the system is already in the RR database, with all of the information you need to program your scanner. It seems that you are plugging in individual frequencies from licenses and scanning them conventionally, rather than programming your local sites and scanning them in trunked mode.

In any event, I'm trying to point out that you may be trying to listen to this system in an inefficient manner, based on your mention of individual call signs in most of your recent threads. Seeing as how I'm nowhere near Utah, I'm going to bow out of this discussion and let some locals provide you with advice.
Ok, I do scan them in the trunked "MO" model But I noticed that some of the freqs I found in my FCC research are not listed in the RR database,
Yes I know with the Radio shack pro 163 and 164 models I use most ofton all I am required to list is the base control freq and the radio will do the rest, But incase that does not work (I have the space) I program all of the found FCC Freqs (some not listed by RR database.)

mrlthse

Give me a call We can get together. and I'm sure, clear up some questions and concerns.
I think you already have my number.
I have having a tizzy finding you email address,
I sent a blurp to you older email address when you were in ARES
did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.