Explosion at TVA John Sevier Fossil Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Just heard "200" dispatching units to the John Sevier Fossil Power Plant in Rogersville (Hawkins County). Explosion with fire, 200 advised Hawkins Co Police, Fire and EMS was enroute.

Hearing traffic on 172.475 100.0 PL. Unable to monitor Hawkins County from my house. Anyone else monitoring?

Explosion at John Sevier

I usually monitor the SW VA online scanner when here at work but haven't done so today. I found the following article at timesnews.net via a Google news search.

Failure at TVA plant causes power outage in Rogersville

ROGERSVILLE - It was lights out again for 6,200 Holston Electric Cooperative members on Tuesday morning in Rogersville and surrounding areas of Hawkins County.

At approximately 9:15 am, the entire city of Rogersville and the surrounding area suffered loss of electrical service after TVA’s John Sevier Fossil Plant experienced a transformer mechanical failure. Unfortunately, TVA was not able to immediately resume service to the Rogersville substation, and therefore, the Holston Electric Cooperative personnel initiated backup measures.

The load was transferred to the Phipps Bend substation and Fort Patrick Henry, recommencing service to all members as quickly as possible.

“TVA has informed Holston EC that a spare transformer will be put online sometime Tuesday afternoon, and at that time we will be able to switch the members back to normal feed,” stated Holston Electric Cooperative General Manager Larry Elkins.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I think what I heard was different incident, I heard the dispatching about 5 mins before I posted mine. Major Problems sounds like!

Latest news: UPDATE 3:31 p.m.
11 Connects digital journalist George Jackson spoke with Gay Murrell , Director of Dispatch for Hawkins County, who has informed us that the fire started in the basement of the plant, “there was some kind of explosion,“ he said. All of the plant staff is accounted for and there are no injuries at this time.

More: ROGERSVILLE, Tenn (WVLT) -- A fire and explosion have been reported at TVA's John Sevier Fossil Fuels plant in Hawkins County, according to County Mayor Crockett Lee.

Lee says the Hawkins County Sheriff's Department, several fire departments and the county's EMA director are on scene.

Hawkins County Sheriff's dispatchers say the call came in at 2:37 p.m. Wednesday, reporting a fire and explosion in the basement. Dispatchers say they are asking for assistance from Greene County.

Dispatchers say there are no reports of injuries, and Lee says it's his understanding everyone escaped the fire unharmed.

A TVA spokesperson says they are gathering new details at this hour.

There are no reports of damage at this hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.