Explosion of Fertilizer Plant, West, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE 12:21 AM EST: West's mayor told CNN that the explosion leveled 60-70 homes, a middle school, a nursing home, and an apartment building. The Associated Press is reporting the blast could heard from 45 miles away.

UPDATE 12:50 AM EST: West's Mayor Tommy Muska told the Waco Tribune that six or seven fire fighters were in the plant at the time of the explosion and are unaccounted for.

bear780ks

From the News i heard on CNN I-35 is Closed i assume I-45 is still open but with storms moving East it will probably shift the Winds and could impact it as Well. But that's just a possibility

But this is Sad News to hear..

bear780ks

I'm listening to Mclennan,Co feed on my Cell phone plus Watching the Weather that is Moving Toward that Area).

And this is Not the only Event that is going on this Morning.. There is a Number of Tornado Warning in the Corner's of Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri This is been a Wild Couple of Days..

Last edited:

danw5211

Premium Subscriber
By ANFO are you referring to Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (Diesel) Mixture? I believe the plant in West was using Anhydrous Ammonia. Which becomes a real large problem quickly when mixed with water. My chemistry is weak. But I seem to recall it makes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is volatile and highly corrosive to metals. Tanks included.
The Emergency Response Guide for Anhydrous Ammonia suggests monitor nozzles from a good distance and a high water flow rate. (Surround and Drown the Ole Timers used to say). That procedure doesn't work on everything though.

**After doing a little background on the plant. I see that they did have Nitric Acid on site for making ammonium nitrate- fertilizer. I worked a plant explosion a few years back where they were using nitric acid and another chemical. That particular plant had lost it's air conditioning that day, but they continued to work. Right up until the nitric acid got too warm and exploded. The ensuing chemical mixture ate the bottom of the first firefighter's boots off. The Nitric acid they were using, back then, Had to be kept cooled and air conditioned.
It becomes very unstable when it gets warm. ( Please don't take my comments as Any indication of what occurred at West.)

The current weather forecast is for a wind shift between 5 and 7 AM this morning. That's probably going to switch the winds from S to the W or NW with the cold front.

Last edited:

bear780ks

Any of that stuff is Highly Dangerous My Dad Helped A couple farmers that Used that used Anhydrous to put on there Fields.. he said if you were not on your "A" Game when Operating with that stuff it could hurt ya Bad.

Confuzzled

Some info from Gawker.com

UPDATE 11:42 PM EST: West EMS Director Dr. George Smith told KWTX that as many as 60 to 70 people died in the explosion. KHOU 11 is reporting 70 confirmed deaths, including five firefighters and one police officer. CBS 11 is also reporting that 60 people were killed.

Gotta watch the wording and use generally reliable news sources instead of gossip sites:

"Fire officials fear that the number of casualties could rise as high as 60 to 70 dead, said Dr. George Smith, the emergency management system director of the city.
Explosion hits fertilizer plant north of Waco, Texas - CNN.com

'could rise as high as' is not the same as 'confirmed'.

'Confirmed' numbers I'm seeing is 3 with several unaccounted for.

K8cpa-chuck

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find the correct archive time frame from the Broadcastify feed for when the explosion occurred. If anyone can assist with the correct time, I would be grateful.

Confuzzled

If there was anybody 'too close', will they even be found? What does it take to eliminate all traces of someone? 'Vaporize' so to speak?

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Seems crazy to have fertilizer plant in a residential neighborhood, and then have a volunteer FD with that kind of responsibility? Lots to be learned here I am afraid.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Please don't give volunteers a hard time. "Volunteer firefighter" has never equated to "uneducated drunks playing cards once a week" despite the stereotype. Most volunteers are as well trained if not better trained than many career departments. Fires and explosions threaten the life safety of career firefighters just as much as they do unpaid/volunteer ones.

As for responsibilities, volunteers cover most of the region surrounding Washington DC. How's that for responsibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.