BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Ext Speaker not coming through speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I just received my P2. Everything running great. I put my speakers into the Ext Speaker I use it to record on Pro Scan. When I plug it in it's silent. I tested with multiple speakers with the same result.

Am I doing something wrong that no communication is not coming out of the external speakers in the back? I have the exact same setup as 996XT with no problems.

NFR85

Edit: I can hear buts its very faint. Do I need to buy the Uniden speakers?

Or does someone recommend a speaker that would work with the P2 with volume control?

Last edited:

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
You might need a 3-conductor plug. I know the jack is wired for 3 conductors (a stereo plug, but both channels the same (mono)), and the Bearcat speaker has a 3 conductor plug. I use the little BC7 and it works well with my BCD996P2. The BC7 is only $15 on amazon.

NFR85

You might need a 3-conductor plug. I know the jack is wired for 3 conductors (a stereo plug, but both channels the same (mono)), and the Bearcat speaker has a 3 conductor plug. I use the little BC7 and it works well with my BCD996P2. The BC7 is only $15 on amazon.

I was looking for a speaker that had volume control. If its too loud or too quiet I cant adjust it using the uniden

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Ah okay. You might like the BC23A - it looks like it has a volume control on the side, and is amplified.

jb_tas

have you the (USB) serial cable connected also? if you have unplug it and try, if you get sound after unplugging serial cable you need to add a ground loop isolator into the extension speaker lead.
That solved the issue with my 536.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
With my 996p2's and PROSCAN I use the record out and set the tags in the scanner programming to record each frequency then plug the PC LINE IN into the RECORD OUT jack then the volume on the scanner never controls the PROSCAN volume. I use the same setups with my 15x's.

cmdrwill

I will add this: many newer radios, receivers, ect are coming with three conductor Audio jacks. The problem is when you use a 'mono' two conductor plug it shorts out the audio to ground.

The sleeve is usually ground or 'low', the ring and tip are both audio out.

Why?, so when you plug in most 'computer speakers' or earphones,you get both sides...

NFR85

One question. Can I hookup the Uniden speaker (BC23A) plug it into the Ext speaker in the back of the scanner along with my recording wire that I use to record the calls on Proscan? I have the exact same setup with the 996XT I use 3.5mm mono Stereo Jack Splitter Adapter. Can this still be done on the P2? If not what Stereo Jack splitter would work?

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
One question. Can I hookup the Uniden speaker (BC23A) plug it into the Ext speaker in the back of the scanner along with my recording wire that I use to record the calls on Proscan? I have the exact same setup with the 996XT I use 3.5mm mono Stereo Jack Splitter Adapter. Can this still be done on the P2? If not what Stereo Jack splitter would work?

Yes, you can. My feed is on the Record jack, and my speaker is in the EXT jack..

NFR85

All that does is split one signal into 2.. so yes it will do what you want. The reason I run mine the way I do is because I listen to more than I feed.

Thank You Gene. Wasn't sure if it would short out anything.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Just a note.. if you notice a buzz on the record side.. as mentioned before, add a ground loop isolator.. you can find them on eBay pretty cheap

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You might need a 3-conductor plug. I know the jack is wired for 3 conductors

I will add this: many newer radios, receivers, ect are coming with three conductor Audio jacks. The problem is when you use a 'mono' two conductor plug it shorts out the audio to ground.

Uniden scanners use 2 wire MONO for the ext speaker jack, and 3 wire STEREO for the headphone jacks.

Ubbe

It's not really the type you want. It's more for your home HiFi stereo.
Get something like this for half the price: https://www.amazon.com/REIIE-Ground-Isolator-Bluetooth-System/dp/B01JUOWB2Q/

/Ubbe
41NaFIt-9bL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.