Extended range handheld scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Regardless of how many post will inevitably show up in this thread it will eventually come down to this, Amen!
I agree 100%. For 700/800 MHZ on the WS1040, the Remtronix REM-800B will result in a significant increase in signal strength over the stock antenna. The REM-800B has a BNC connector to match your scanner. I have 3 of them.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Two things to remember. Extended receive can also cause overload on close repeaters, and simulcast issues will be worse. If the antenna is much longer than the original rubber duck, it can put extra stress on the connector and cause solder joints to fail. This is especially true with extendable antennas.

Conray23

I just realized I have that antenna already. I’m only scanning for my local fire and police. The communication center is 2 miles away. Sometimes it’s really good and sometimes it seems to cut out. The squelch does nothing

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just realized it’s an analog trucked signal. Does that matter?
There is also a new P25 digital trunked system for Washington and Clackamas Counties. On the Motorola analog system you are using, some of the sites require a custom 800 MHz rebanded bandplan. If you have ARC500 or Win500 software and attach your programming file, I can check it for you.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if any electrical engineer out there has ever taken that antenna apart and tried to explain why it works so well.

It's probably just tuned well for those bands. The supplied stock rubber ducky antennas that come with most scanners attempts to be a wide band antenna but they excel at nothing.

Conray23

There is also a new P25 digital trunked system for Washington and Clackamas Counties. On the Motorola analog system you are using, some of the sites require a custom 800 MHz rebanded bandplan. If you have ARC500 or Win500 software and attach your programming file, I can check it for you.
I do have arc500 but I get all my channels from radio reference. I’m not smart enough to program my scanner manually

tvengr

Well Known Member
I do have arc500 but I get all my channels from radio reference. I’m not smart enough to program my scanner manually
Using ARC500, Download from Scanner and save the file. Right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach the file. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. I want to check the bandplans. That may be why you are having a problem receiving the system.

Last edited:

Ubbe

I wonder if any electrical engineer out there has ever taken that antenna apart and tried to explain why it works so well.
Standard antennas have several elements in it, usually dualband, that interact with each other in a negative way. A single band 800MHz antenna have only one element that is bigger in size designed for some gain at a more narrow frequency range. The biggest part of the standard antenna are designed for the 155Mhz band and the 800Mhz part of it are a much smaller.

/Ubbe

CycleSycho

:) Engineers and gov officials have taken a simple analog tx/rx system and made it so complicated... I used to think lawyers were the bane of society, now they compete mostly equally with engineers and gov officials... :)

pb_lonny

:) Engineers and gov officials have taken a simple analog tx/rx system and made it so complicated... I used to think lawyers were the bane of society, now they compete mostly equally with engineers and gov officials... :)

So very true, I wonder why sometimes...

ConGiants2

Feed Provider

lol... well.. I DID take 1 semester of an antennas class... and let me tell you.. the hand calculations of all the different derivations is no fun.. building in ANSYS was MUCH better!

spacellamaman

i did finally take one apart, likely due to you re-implanting the seed in my sub-concious mind.

and i ain't no fancy pants engineer, but having torn one apart now, i feel i can now, with confidence, explain why it works so well:

Radio Shack MAJIK!

DJ11DLN

The RS/Remtronix 800 antenna is about the best there is for that band but if you're getting signal overload you might be better off with the stock awful antenna. Too much signal into the receiver is as bad as not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.