• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschenavar

Hi guys, i'm pretty retarded when it comes to amateur radio or radios in general. I currently use a TK-2212 for my fire department handheld. With that, I didnt know where to look to find a good answer on this site so here goes... I am trying to get around having a mobile in my vehicle just for space and money reasons..Is there anyway to run an extender or some other equipment to essentially increase the output power on my handheld for when i'm in my vehicle. Again, excuse my ignorance on the topic.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RF amplifier. You'll need one that will handle a 5 watt input (from your hand held) and give you a 50 watt output, or whatever your departments license is for.

External antenna. Get a good one

Speaker Mic, because once you hook up the amp to the radio, you won't want to be trying to hold it and talk at the same time.

Really, though. Been there, done that. It'll work, but after a few weeks, it'll drive you nuts. In 6 months you'll want a mobile radio.
Save your money on the amp and just get a suitable mobile radio and be done with it. It isn't going to cost any more than a good amplifier, wiring, etc, and the cost you'll pay repairing the antenna jack on your hand held because it has been damaged from constantly being connected and disconnected all the time will end up being more than if you just did the mobile radio thing from the get go.

If you really have to do it this way, ditch the Kenwood, and get a Motorola with an MTVA/XTVA mobile adapter and you'll be happier. But really, just get the mobile.

aschenavar

awesome..thanks for the information..i'm prolly just gonna by patient and wait on a decent mobile

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
You could switch to Motorola and get a Convertacom which is basically a mobile, except you drop in your portable radio to make it work.

aschenavar

Yea I saw some of those on ebay actually...neat concept but by the time I switch portables and purchase the convert-a-com I could prolly just buy a mobile and be done lol

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
True.

The Convertacom, MTVA, and XTVA are all the same thing, just different radio models go in them.

You can score HT1000's or an MTS2000 on VHF or UHF for $100 to $200, and if you get the right model, they are narrow band capable. I've seen MTVA's go for $100 or less, so yeah, you could save some money.

Then again, you can get a used CDM1250 or CDM1550 for $300, a new Icom for $300, or a really good used Kenwood for $300. Just pick your poison and go for it. I picked up a used/like new CDM1550 VHF for my truck for $300 bucks back in July. A whole lot of those on e-Bay right now.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget to get a narrowband capable model, when you buy the mobile. There are going to plenty of non-compliant models available, for really good prices, but you can only use them for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.