extending cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinks

I would like to raise my antenna 8' and change from a 20-176 to a scantenna. I am listening to vhf to a distant 800mhz.
I run new LMR-400 with PL-259 at antenna and BNC adapter at the scanner.
I would also like to add a Polyphaser.

If I put the polyphaser on the end of my LMR-400 and then have another piece made to go up to the new scantenna with an F adapter will I have to many adapters and loose my already weak 800mhz?

I would have scanner,BNC to PL-259. 25' LMR-400, Polyphaser 10' LMR-400, PL-259 to F, Antenna.

n4yek

All I can say is the more connectors you have in line, the more loss you will have. Will you lose your weak 800 signal? Depends on how weak you signal is to begin with, if you barely receive it, possibly. It is hard to answer a question like this, mainly this will be a trial and error setup I believe.

43g70

A PL 259/UHF Connector is not good for 800. You could get a N to N polyphaser. That would help with some loss.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since Polyphaser is a brand name that raises the question of Polyphaser what? In any case the N connector point is valid to a point and that point is unfortunately they cannot be used throughout. Still I really wouldn't sweat the petty things when I'd rather pet the sweaty things.

mrdinks

mrdinks said:
I would like to raise my antenna 8' and change from a 20-176 to a scantenna. I am listening to vhf to a distant 800mhz.
I run new LMR-400 with PL-259 at antenna and BNC adapter at the scanner.
I would also like to add a Polyphaser.

If I put the polyphaser on the end of my LMR-400 and then have another piece made to go up to the new scantenna with an F adapter will I have to many adapters and loose my already weak 800mhz?

I would have scanner,BNC to PL-259. 25' LMR-400, Polyphaser 10' LMR-400, PL-259 to F, Antenna.
OK lets start over
1 Does a polyphaser mess up 800mhz? or not enough to wory about.
2 Where should it go? It could be hooked to the antenna to save on a fitting or I could put the polyphaser on the end of my LMR-400, then get a short piece to extend up to the new antenna.
3 Get new piece of LMR 10' longer and forget the polyphaser.

I figured instead of using a plain coupler to extend my wire I would use a polyphaser as the coupler. Is that a good idea?
I had to adapt to an F connector for the scantenna, but I might get an antenna from DPD Productions that has an N connector instead and forget the F coupling.
I could also take my LMR-400 back to my radio guy and have the PL-259 ends cut off and replace them with N connectors.
I know thats a lot to talkabout

mrdinks

N1BHH said:
As kb2vxa has pointed out Polyphaser is a brand name, what Polyphaser device model number are you talking about? What is the model number and what does it do, or claim to do?
I understand the brand name thing, I stIill need to order what I need If I need. I am looking for an opinion on if I need before what I need . Now that that is clear :)

Don't read into my question I'm not that technical.

IF I were to add the correct Polyphaser what ever that may be (not asking) where do I put it?

mrsvensven

mrdinks said:
I understand the brand name thing, I stIill need to order what I need If I need. I am looking for an opinion on if I need before what I need . Now that that is clear :)

Don't read into my question I'm not that technical.

IF I were to add the correct Polyphaser what ever that may be (not asking) where do I put it?

I still have no idea what you mean.

The question is we want you to answer is:
What is a Polyphaser? Are you talking about a coax surge protector, or some kind of grounding system?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.