Editing Extensions for wiki editing, like Visual Editor and a Cite button

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabbeaux

Do we have wikimedia's Visual Editor or similar editing extensions installed? I'd like to do some minor format editing of a large table and don't want to break the table's code.
Similarly, adding References is a real struggle. Maybe we could add wikimedia's "Cite" button to the editing toolbar? The current bookmark button on toolbar just inserts <ref></ref> and I'm struggling to figure it out.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
At this time, we do not. Maybe in the future.

jabbeaux

Thanks. Using the tools we have now, is something broken with References? I copy/paste the code example
Wiki:
Page text.<ref>[http://www.example.org Link text], additional text.</ref>

The result renders
Page text.<ref>Link text, additional text.</ref>
But the example claims what should render is

It's as if mediawiki isn't rendering the <ref></ref> tags.

Edit: Based on this answer it sounds like a missing Cite extension could cause this.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think Reference has ever worked in my time with the RadioReference Wiki. It's possible that the proper extensions were never implemented. I'll discuss with Lindsay.

jabbeaux

Cite/References still throwing some errors when parsing pages. To check my sanity, I used this tool to generate the Wikimedia styled references markdown.

For example, in updating this page

I added this citation
Wiki:
<ref name="The Hour">{{cite news |last=Brone |first=Abigail |url=https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Norwalk-police-to-receive-new-5-6M-17038505.php |title=Norwalk police to receive new $5.6M communications system |work=The Hour |location=Norwalk, CT |publisher=Hearst Newspapers |date=2022-03-30 |accessdate=2022-06-19 |quote=In updating the communication system with Motorola, the city will join the Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network, which the state police use, Zecca said. }}</ref>

which generated at the end
Wiki:
Template:Cite news

but I believe the intended behavior is a fully sourced reference with article link, date published, author, publisher.

In attempting to add a References section, using this
Wiki:
==References==
{{reflist}}

renders this
Wiki:
References
Template:Reflist

So to fix, I have to use this code block
Wiki:
==References==
<div class='references-small'>
<references/>
</div>

albeit that only half-works, as it renders
Wiki:
References
Template:Cite news
https://www.norwalkct.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/18319

Separate but possibly related, I notice the Cite extension is installed. Could we add that to the editor visual toolbar? More info. Something like the Visual Editor toolbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.