Not open for further replies.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
From a P25 perspective 436 wins
From a receive perspective 436 wins.

Returning the TRX-1

genemalet

I agree, the location plays a very important role however I would assume, I have both radios, both with the exact same frequencies and both have the exact same antenna. Out of the Box, the 436 is damn good. I have to adjust a bunch of things in the trx-1 just to get a halfway decent signal and the uniden is clear as a bell. I am not far from the repeater that is transmitting the P25 and as a matter of fact, at times the TRX 1 stops when the signal is being transmitted but missed the voice all together.

What a waste of money in my book and trust me I am very critical of the uniden as well, I had my upswith the Uniden, after all the upgrades it works fantastic.

Again other users may have different experiences but mine are not so good with the TRX-1.

goodmore

The TRX 1 and 2 perform very well for me compared to the Uniden 436 and 536. Location is a very important factor it seems. I'm not promoting one over the other. Just recommending if you have trouble with one maybe the other will work better. Save your receipt.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
It's too funny that different users in differing parts of the country can have such opposite experiences. Out of the box, the TRX-1 was much better for me, with absolutely no adjustments. Same basic programming and same antennas. I've actually found more DMR with the TRX-1 than I ever heard with the 436.

When did you buy the 436? I've had mine since it first came out. Mine seems to have been plagued with problems since day 1. Could be the difference.

genemalet

I was one of the first to get the Uniden Radios radio and yes had the issues with the battery on the 536 and 436 paying for upgrades, the whole 9 yards.

I will tell you, I wish the TRX-1 would work better but am disappointed for sure.

I am going to get the new ICOM 8600. That's supposed to be cool.

All this stuff is trial and error until you find the right one that fits you.

Anyone want to buy a new TRX-1 for 450, brand new basically, let me know. They go for a little bit more brand new.

goodmore

The thing I find most discouraging about the Whistler scanners is the lack of software. Recording a visual record on a computer is a very handy tool.

SOFA_KING

The thing I find most discouraging about the Whistler scanners is the lack of software. Recording a visual record on a computer is a very handy tool.

Whistler TRX scanners DO record a visual record along with audio recordings. In fact, that is pretty much all I do with mine. The software produces a list of all recordings (Audio Index) along with all the talkgroup, unit ID, frequency, PL, DPL, NAC...just about everything. I just wish I could export that recording list. Too much is locked down in their exclusive software. But at least the index has all the info. A column for Access Info (NAC,PL, DPL) would be appreciated though. Right now it only shows up top on a single recording selection. That should be an easy add...if Whistler is paying attention.

Concerning sensitivity and decode ability, many factors can play a part. Your RF environment, and how each scanner model handles that, often is a major factor. Unfortunately, I have some paging garbage around my area. Also FM broadcast. Both have given me headaches with some scanner models. The x36 handles it better...but not perfect on paging mix images. Better than the TRX-2. Overall my TRX-2 has better analog sensitivity, but the x36 scanners decode digital better. I like 'em all, but love my 996P2. It is set to filter out all the garbage and just deliver the goods. And it scans much faster than the x36 scanners. Plus I like the sound and display better. The one mod I think of making to it is a true narrow band filter mod. I bet that would make it even more sensitive. ;)

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.