External aerials

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Over the years I have had a few external aerials setup.

When I first got I to scanning I was living with my parents and had a UHF CB whip on a mag mount base on the roof with some fishing line attached to the top which helped to keep it in place, the coax ran down and in to my window and the back of my UBC9000XLT.

When I moved in to my first house I put up a multiband vertical on top of a 4m high pole in the back yard, due to this height and my house being fairly high I was able to pull in some good signals across a wide area.

Next I moved back in with my parents and during this time I managed to grab the better bedroom which gave me access to the side of the house where I was able to put up a discone and 2m vertical as during this time I got my F call and worked quite a few amateurs on 2m FM.

Early in 2008 I moved to Mowbray with good views down and across the CBD. During this time scanning took a back seat and as such I didn’t use anything more than my UHF CB whip on a mag mount sitting on the window facing the CBD.

I moved again in April 2009 to a rental property in West Launceston, as this was only going to be a stop gap until I moved somewhere else I didn’t both with an external aerials but now it looks like I will be here for a while I have today put up an aerial outside. Being a rental I can’t do anything major but I think this has worked well and from my testing tonight a few signals which were a poor copy and hard to understand now come in much clearer and I was able to even hear an amateur on 29.600MHz before quite well.

myaerial2010.jpg

myaerial20103.jpg

Paul

KB3SJV

Premium Subscriber
I run one of my conventional scanners off of a 27mhz CB antenna!!! It works great, but I am in the market for a discone, any suggestions?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Aerials vs. Antennas

It's interesting how the Aussies refer to Antennas as Aerials. When I was a very young ham my mom used to be concerned about "all those aerials on the roof" and I told her that every one was necessary. That was 42 years ago. I now have 7 on my house and 11 on my car.

Happy New Year everyone!

tmfok7

Just curious about something because I can't really tell from the picture, but! Is that a metal rain gutter? AND is that antenna leaning against it?

Air490

Another great thing we have in Australia is metal roofs. They are great for attaching a magmount to when you have a non-permanent set up, like in a rental property.

N8IAA

Have you considered making up a clamp with an extension for the railing to hold your antenna away from the gutter? Maybe you can use the gutter for a scanner antenna. Simple alligator clip on the center conductor of some coax with your favorite scanner connector on the other. Just don't transmit on it though:))
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.