External Antenna for Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9WG

The short answer is yes you can..... but since it is a CB antenna it will not be optimal for VHF/UHF frequencies. That being said, if high enough and outside, it is probably better then the back of the set antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes and no....Your antron 99 will work great to receive anything from 27mhz. up to about 50mhz. Above that range,not so much unless it's fairly close yo you.

n9zas

digitalanalog

Can you.....Yes you can but.......
Antron designed to work in CB range of 26.965 - 27.405

2 Meters 144.0 - 148.0
Fire/Ems/Police mostly 150.000 - 900.000 depending on what you want to listen to and where you are.

So as you can see your Antron is No Where near any of the bands you mentioned using it for.
You would be better off using a piece of cut coax or even coat hangers in the shape of a discone.

But then again, go for it and let us know how it works out.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I have used one in the past on a scanner just for curiousity and lowband VHF is great. Everything else is not so good unless you are very close to the transmitter.

73s & hope this helps

Chad

boatman1

Premium Subscriber
Got to say that I just bought a Radio Shack Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna
Model:
20-176 Catalog #: 20-176

Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

I am about 50 miles from DFW airport, using a Uniden BCT15x. With the included back of the set antenna I got almost nothing out here in the country-- but with this little antenna I pick up DFW and many other long range frequencies. AND the antenna is setting on top of a tripod inside and not yet mounted outside! (as a test) I have no idea what I will pick up once it is properly mounted outside. :)

Very good antenna for $30. I would buy a proper outside antenna like this one -- and not use that CB antenna.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Got to say that I just bought a Radio Shack Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna
Model:
20-176 Catalog #: 20-176

Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

I am about 50 miles from DFW airport, using a Uniden BCT15x. With the included back of the set antenna I got almost nothing out here in the country-- but with this little antenna I pick up DFW and many other long range frequencies. AND the antenna is setting on top of a tripod inside and not yet mounted outside! (as a test) I have no idea what I will pick up once it is properly mounted outside. :)

Very good antenna for $30. I would buy a proper outside antenna like this one -- and not use that CB antenna.

I use this same antenna and it works great. I pick up everything in my area with ease.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have two in the attic and one on the tower, use good coax (LMR400-RG6U Shield) and it will really perform even on digital systems....

Status
Not open for further replies.