external antenna question for SW7600GR portable

st25r

I've been experimenting with a wooden frame square loop antenna and connecting them to the 1/8" external antenna jack with mixed results. The jack I believe is somewhere around 50 ohms. I have a stereo jack and am using the tip for the signal and the shielding used for the ground connection. I understand that there is a capacitor in this part of the circuit that supplies a voltage pulse to turn on a Sony brand antenna. There are adapters on the market such as: Shortwave conversion cable and another version with attenuation
I've purchased the materials needed to make this static drain
Is the schematic for the static drain component the same as the guts in the conversion cable boxes? Or do I need to somehow have to make the external antenna be 50 ohms to match the jack? When I try to listen to broadcast AM such as 650 kHz and plug in the external antenna, the signal completely goes away. Unplugged, the inner ferrite core pulls in the station okay. Looking forward to figuring this out.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Please don't think I'm being obnoxious or anything, but the frame loop you are using is a tuned loop correct?

Thanks
Joel

st25r

Please don't think I'm being obnoxious or anything, but the frame loop you are using is a tuned loop correct?

Thanks
Joel
Hi Joel, I have an AM tuning capacitor connected to the loop antenna.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you try wiring to the tip and ring, rather than the tip and ground?

I will have this moved to the Receive Antennas (below 30 Mhz) forum where this really belongs....

Mike