External Antenna Question

kilogulf59

Let me start off by saying I know nothing about radios. I can plug ‘em in, put batteries in ‘em, turn ‘em on, listen to ‘em, and that’s about it. Anything more than that and I’m completely ignorant.

I had an old Redsun PF2100 PLL radio that I gave to my grandson. The radio’s hardly been used, however the mast antenna snapped off (my fault) and I cannot find a replacement online. I am still searching though. The radio has FM from 87 MHz - 108 MHz, medium wave and shortwave 1'711 kHz - 30'000 kHz, divided into SW1, SW2 and SW3. I’d like to get external antennas for this as there’s sockets, as the manual calls them, on the back (ref pic below). Here’s some additional information.

From the manual:
EXTERNAL ANTENNA FOR FM/SW
External antenna for FM (75 ohm) or external antenna for SW (50 ohm) can be connected to the EXT. ANTENNA Socket for FM and SW for better position and FM-DX.
The INT. / EXT. ANTENNA Switch on the side of the radio should be set to external antenna (lower position).
EXTERNAL ANTENNA FOR MW
The EXT. ANTENNA Sockets for MW on this radio is for
connection of a long wire antenna (red socket) and to the ground (black socket).
When there is a thunderstorm, please disconnect the external
antenna from the radio and place it in a safe place.
AM IF OUT
This radio has an AM IF OUT socket that is for extended functions, such as SSB, DRM, SSTV, etc. (Please read other related materials re these topics).

The antenna connections on the back are two Flex F connectors (female) for FM/SW and AM IF OUT (whatever that is?) and a two spring clip terminals for the MW (ref pic below). The expandable thumbnail pics are below and I can provide a PDF of the manual is that would help.

I have no clue as to what type/kind of antennas to get. These would be used indoors, no towers or house mounts. BTW, we are rural, no electronics stores to visit either. All of this has to be done on-line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I would simply take a piece of zip cord, (lamp cord) and wrap one bared wire around whatever is left of the antenna on the radio and run it across the room, up by the ceiling if you can tie it to something while you look for a replacement. How long is the antenna collapsed, from the end with the hole and the swivel screw in it, to the tip? I may have an antenna here that will work for you. Also, that radio looks very close to my Grundig S350DL. You might try Grundig for a replacement.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I would simply take a piece of zip cord, (lamp cord) and wrap one bared wire around whatever is left of the antenna on the radio and run it across the room, up by the ceiling if you can tie it to something while you look for a replacement. How long is the antenna collapsed, from the end with the hole and the swivel screw in it, to the tip? I may have an antenna here that will work for you. Also, that radio looks very close to my Grundig S350DL. You might try Grundig for a replacement.

On further examination of your pictures, there are two posts on the back of that radio. One is for attachment of a wire antenna. The other is for a ground wire. Push down on the plastic spring loaded piece above the hole and put your wire antenna in there.