External Audio Jack BCD536

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I have seen several forums on audio issues, but I do not believe this is my issue...I have audio.

When I plug into the external speaker jack in the back, my audio is almost inaudible. I have the jack like halfway in now and I have better volume.

I saw something about mono rather than stero, but I did not think that mattered on the jack, do I need a different audio cable?

This cable I used for a while no issues on my BCD996XT.

If I use headset jack in the front to my Dell PC, it pops, which is definitely not a good deal.

SCPD

QRT
Mono is different , you need a speaker that is mono system. I have a 106 ear jack that is the same thing
& if I use the old speaker with it ,it has almost no audio, But if I use my ear phones with mono Very Diff.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Mono is different , you need a speaker that is mono system. I have a 106 ear jack that is the same thing
& if I use the old speaker with it ,it has almost no audio, But if I use my ear phones with mono Very Diff.

Why would this have changed? Been plugging into the back of the scanners for years, and now I use same cables on the external SP jack and low audio?? I was not really aware they made different cables (other than size, etc)

Last edited:

dfw1417

If you plug a 1/8 " Mono plug into a 1/8" stereo jack you will SHORT out 1 output from the audio amplifier thus causing low volume. This is why it is SO IMPORTANT to make sure you plug the right plug into the right jack. Stereo to Stereo and Mono to Mono. In some cases by plugging a mono plug into a stereo jack you damage the audio amplifier IC Chip and from then on it only puts out low volume.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Yowsers! While I do not profress to be an expert on audio, I cannot say I ever had to worry about my extension cables etc, but, that sounds a bit like what is happening, hence when I back it slightly off the jack the audio comes through.

Looks like I need a new scanner audio cable. Why does it always cost something. :-(

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
If you plug that stereo headset jack into another scanner that you know works in the past, will it work now?

If so, go to Radio Shack and get a 3mm stereo to mono plug adapter. Fits onto your existing 3mm stereo plug.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I'd say yet, it works, I just unplugged it this morning...I will put back and test and then pick one of these things up you suggested.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
slingshot202, Google the following, you'll see what it looks like. <C2G / Cables to Go 03174 3.5mm Stereo Female to 3.5mm Mono Male Adapter>

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Why would this have changed? Been plugging into the back of the scanners for years, and now I use same cables on the external SP jack and low audio?? I was not really aware they made different cables (other than size, etc)

You can't use the EXT Speaker jack (X36HP) to feed a computer or an amplified speaker. They changed the Audio amp design. One of the reasons people complain about no LINE OUT jack.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
So I have to use the front port I guess? What I just noticed is when I plug in the provide serial cable to the front port it cuts out my audio into the PC, before that, it was fine.

However, I need audio if I want to put this on ProScan....yowsers!

slingshot202

Feed Provider
WHen I say it cuts out the audio, only from the external speaker jack at the rear of the scanner.

That seems like a faulty design. I see info about upgrades, firmware, etc, but I just received my scanner the other day.

cpetraglia

You can use the jack to feed an amp if you use a simple 'Line level to low level adapter' Get one that has a level ajust and it should work well.

Chuck

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Well I have decided to go with the Earphone jack, however, when monitoring in this case via ProScan it pops a lot.

I have looked at settings but do not see a way to alleviate the pop. This I must say it disappointing.

What I did find today is when I have the cable plugged into the External Speaker jack in the back of the radio it works fine, until I plug in the serial cable to the front port. At that point the audio became LOW and did not change no matter what I did volume wise.

For the price of the scanner, it does still seem a bit buggy, but I am happy to get it and get some stations back I had lost.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like one of the audio pins is being grounded. Note that neither of the conductors on the EXT SP jack should be connected to chassis ground. They are both driven outputs. You might need a 1:1 isolation transformer on that audio output to prevent the short to ground.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Sounds like one of the audio pins is being grounded. Note that neither of the conductors on the EXT SP jack should be connected to chassis ground. They are both driven outputs. You might need a 1:1 isolation transformer on that audio output to prevent the short to ground.

Guess a little above my pay grade. Usually I just plug it and I am done.

All I know is it worked and then I plug in the cable in the front port and it does not.

What is this isolation transformer you speak of? Any links?

As long as I don't plug the jack all the way in, it works. I even tried the mono adapter, no change. If only halfway in, I get audio out of scanner and into the PC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.