External ham radio speaker for the chase vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

5stormchasers

Here are a few pics of the install of the external speaker for my Yaesu 7900!

Before..
null_zps37a349b7.jpg

The joys of splicing wire!
null_zpscc2bcde3.jpg

Le's hide this wire under that step...
null_zps5752e38b.jpg

Speaker mounted under the vehicle!
null_zps920ac772.jpg

Hooking up the switch!
null_zps2a9f8b91.jpg

Place the switch in a compartment, and we are done!
null_zpsc147c6bf.jpg

WD4JKH

You wont have to worry about overloading the speaker.. ;)

Are those zip ties holding the speaker in place under the vehicle?

WB4CS

Question...

While storm spotting, what purpose does the loudspeaker serve? I'm racking my brain and can't figure out what exactly would it be used for.

5stormchasers

Yes. I am using zip ties to hold it temporarily. I am in the process of making a bracket for it.

5stormchasers

It will be used while I am outside the vehicle. I like to get out of the vehicle while storm spotting. From my vantage point I can see storms a long way out, so I get out of the vehicle to take pics. My speaker inside the vehicle isn't loud enough. This is a perfect solution.

WB4CS

It will be used while I am outside the vehicle. I like to get out of the vehicle while storm spotting. From my vantage point I can see storms a long way out, so I get out of the vehicle to take pics. My speaker inside the vehicle isn't loud enough. This is a perfect solution.

Ah-ha, that makes sense :) I forget the rest of the country isn't like Alabama. There's so many hills and mountains here that it's best to stay inside the car while spotting, you never know when you'll have to get out of the way quickly!

Thanks.

lafd55

Very bad that only zip ties(weak ones) are holding it in place..... Haven't you heard of a portable? Or a Bluetooth...

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The zip ties are temporary. He's making a bracket for it.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if that's the best speaker to use. It looks like a siren speaker/driver. If so it is probably 100w at 11 Ohm impedance. That might put too much of a load on the 2w, 8 Ohm audio amplifier in the radio. there are 8 Ohm outside speakers available for $10-$20.

Attachments

• 3845956.jpg
    3845956.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,031

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Zip ties? Really?

Why even mount it before you finish the bracket? If that speaker falls off while driving, it could seriously injure a motorcycle rider or damage a vehicle behind you.

First the whackerish home made signs and flashing lights. Now you've got equipment mounted in a dangerous fashion.

You really need to think before installing.

WD4JKH

I don't know if that's the best speaker to use. It looks like a siren speaker/driver. If so it is probably 100w at 11 Ohm impedance. That might put too much of a load on the 2w, 8 Ohm audio amplifier in the radio. there are 8 Ohm outside speakers available for $10-$20.

Huh? An 11 ohm speaker will be less of a load than an 8 ohm speaker.

jim202

Huh? An 11 ohm speaker will be less of a load than an 8 ohm speaker.

When was the last time you tried using Ohm's Law?

The higher resistance will be less of a load than the 8 Ohm speaker.

By the way, has any thought been put into the location of the speaker being mounted under the vehicle? The location shown looks like it is under the vehicle. This is a fine place if you want to destroy the speaker with water from splashes while just plain driving in the rain. Why do you think most of the public safety external speakers are put under the hood or in the grill? This reduces the amount of water these speakers ingest. Even at that, the speakers need to be replaced with time and weather conditions. Salt just eats these speakers up.

WD4JKH

When was the last time you tried using Ohm's Law?

The higher resistance will be less of a load than the 8 Ohm speaker.

That's what I'm saying. Your previous post was the one saying an 8 ohm speaker will be less of a load than the 11 ohm siren speaker.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Would it not be easier and a lot more functional to just get a vehicle repeater?

I mean... unless the point is to be as loud as possible, a proper mobile radio for receiving whatever it is that you want to receive coupled with a vehicle repeater and a portable radio would probably be the best solution to the whole radio outside the car thing.

jim202

That's what I'm saying. Your previous post was the one saying an 8 ohm speaker will be less of a load than the 11 ohm siren speaker.

Sorry, but you have it backwards. The lower impedance will cause more current to be pulled and as such more noise. I mean sound, on the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.