External loudspeaker for SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospect62

Hey guys,

My father in law owns a body shop/towing company and asked me to set him up with a radio to monitor our newly-digital P25 local emergency services. I am considering an SDS-200.

My question is, he needs the audio run out to a loudspeaker in the garage/work area from the front desk where the scanner would be kept - and it needs to be loud.

Will the audio out jack on the SDS-200 provide enough signal power to work with a "horn" style loudspeaker? If not, could I hook that audio into an amplified speaker with good results? What we are looking for is loud, clean audio into a busy and loud work area.

Thanks for any tips or input.

Ubbe

I would consider connection the SDS200 to the network, if one exists, or at least to a simple WiFi router and then have ProScans free radiofeed software on a PC and use a mobile phone with a stream listening app. That mobile could be on a constant usb power and it's earphone out connected to an amplified speaker of your choise. He could also wear a mobile phone and use a connected earphone and then don't need the speaker setup.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Instead of buying the SDS200, consider buying two BCD996P2’s. The office doesn’t need a bull horn external speaker and you don’t need to string line to the shop. The other scanner goes into the body shop. Try it first without the external speaker. If it needs one then look at both the amplified and non-amplified offerings from Uniden (if you want to stick with Uniden).

Buying the SDS200 gets you way more radio than you need... and you won’t see any improved signal just because it’s the flagship of the line. I’ve got nothing against the SDS200, I own two of them. It just seems to me if the only need for a receiver is to listen to the local authorities for business purposes, it’s a business expense. It’s like buying a Porsche when a Chevy will do nicely.

Prospect62

The SDS200 or a Unication unit are pretty much my only real options due to the simulcast system being used here. I'm not too familair with the BCD996P2 however. I will look into it.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Instead of buying the SDS200, consider buying two BCD996P2’s.

Buying the SDS200 gets you way more radio than you need... and you won’t see any improved signal just because it’s the flagship of the line.

It's not a matter of "improved signal". The SDS200 was specifically designed to handle simulcast, which is what CNYICC is. It will work well on the system. Chances are the 996P2 will work very poorly or not at all.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Have the SDS100 with the BC23A (and did the mod to where it does not "rest") in my truck and it is quite sufficient. You would need 12VDC to power the speaker. Not sure how loud the garage is but this speaker has a really good output for the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.