External scanner speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
An L-pad and/or toggle switch are simple enough to add to an external speaker housing.

Thanks...I meant built-in already......I'm not an "add-on" sort of guy. I thought I had seen speakers on here that had a volume knob or mute button built in?

Ebenge

Premium Subscriber
speakers

While this is on the subject of using the Lansing pc speakers, I bought at wal-mart for $14. I have found that different scanners I have are either mono or stereo, and it doesn't even depend on the year or model. My old BC45 is in stereo, but my new bct15 is mono. Does anyone have an idea how to change this with a simple fix?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Truck Stops!

Dont overlook your local truck stops! I have found many a good deal on accessories including speakers, at a truck stop. Also, try attending a local Hamfest. You are sure to find one there. I will tell you that if you are anything like me, picky, you will be going through a few speakers until you find the one that sounds beat to you! Good Luck!

Manny

KC0QNB

While this is on the subject of using the Lansing pc speakers, I bought at wal-mart for $14. I have found that different scanners I have are either mono or stereo, and it doesn't even depend on the year or model. My old BC45 is in stereo, but my new bct15 is mono. Does anyone have an idea how to change this with a simple fix?
You can get a mono to stereo adapter and probably a stereo to mono adapter, on Radioshack's website I found two 1 for each way

af5rn

I know this topic may already be dead, but re-reading the original post, I just thought of something. Do you really just want to add external speakers, or do you just think you need to because the internal speakers are on the bottom? I run several 996s, and as long as you put the rubber feet on the bottom of them, you can hear the speaker just fine. No problems at all hearing them loud and clear. Have you put those on and tried that?

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
Question,
How hard would it be to construct a mixer that ran off the supplied power? Just a project box at RadShack, a couple of pots, and connectors?

Am i missing anything else you would have to put in there for efficent operation?

KC0QNB

Ah the old reliable passive mixer, yeah it will work you can the potential problem would be, if not constructed with input resistors or the like it could short out the audio output stage of the scanner, and could take out the power amp here is one I found on a quick search, lefthand top. Most mixers now a days use op amps to add some capability to the device, like filters, tone controls and the like, for about $30 you can have one of these for $20 one of these Both offer an active design. what is your time worth? your call.

brentoli

Banned
You could always go with the sound board.. but.. is the space on the desk it would take up worth it also? ;)

Julian1

Moto HSN4018A

The Motorola HSN4018A is an 8-ohm speaker which matches the 8-ohm audio of your scanner. I have connected 3.2 ohm speakers that work ok.

I've gotten the best performance out of the HSN4018A Motorola. Use one for my Uniden 996 in a Chrysler 300.

Sounds great.

Uniden has 8-ohm external speakers www.scannermaster.com

Try an ebay search for HSN4018A Motorola.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Motorola-Spec...ryZ46539QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can't go wrong.

Take care and good luck!

KC0QNB

You could always go with the sound board.. but.. is the space on the desk it would take up worth it also? ;)
Well the Behringer unit is 1-5/16 X 2-1/4 X 4-1/16 and it runs on 12vDC, so you cs use it in your mobile also, you wouldn't even know it was there on the desk. Here is a better example if you use a standard size optical wheel mouse the mixer is roughly the same size excluding the cables and knobs.

brentoli

Banned
Ah, Didn't see the measurments on that one.
Anywho.
Ok, so do you want to be a purist, and home brew your own stuff, or buy it from the cool magazine?

(Sorry, I needed to justify my excuse somehow... even though I am much more apt to buy.)

KC0QNB

Ah, Didn't see the measurments on that one.
Anywho.
Ok, so do you want to be a purist, and home brew your own stuff, or buy it from the cool magazine?

(Sorry, I needed to justify my excuse somehow... even though I am much more apt to buy.)

You know, I did a lot of homebrew projects a few years ago, built mixers, filters timers, and so on but now that I pushing 50, HARD, I can't see the little holes on circuit boards any more let alone stick in a wire and solder it in place.
If I had the need for a simple mixer I would probably buy the Behringer. you can't go too wrong for 20 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.