External sound card

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Really in need of a new sound card. RCA outs and headphone jack, and USB connectivity a must. I have predominately preferred Creative Labs products but anything new does not have rca out. What would y'all recommend? Thanks

bharvey2

I saw your post earlier but never got around to responding. In any case, I too have been using Creative Labs sound cards for many years. The Audigy line with the I/O breakout panel that fit into a 5" external bay was among my favorites. I finally upgraded a year or so ago with another Creative Labs sound card and while it has an external, desktop headphone/mic extension pad with a volume control, I was left without the RCA and optical inputs. I never really used the optical so that wasn't a big deal. I ended up using a separate USB mixer when the RCA jacks are needed. My guess is that it's only we guys that keep our older equipment around that still use the RCA connections.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I saw your post earlier but never got around to responding. In any case, I too have been using Creative Labs sound cards for many years. The Audigy line with the I/O breakout panel that fit into a 5" external bay was among my favorites. I finally upgraded a year or so ago with another Creative Labs sound card and while it has an external, desktop headphone/mic extension pad with a volume control, I was left without the RCA and optical inputs. I never really used the optical so that wasn't a big deal. I ended up using a separate USB mixer when the RCA jacks are needed. My guess is that it's only we guys that keep our older equipment around that still use the RCA connections.
Can you put that in an external case? is that PCI?

bharvey2

Can you put that in an external case? is that PCI?

As I recall, the soundcard was PCI and the breakout panel that fit in a 5.25" bay was connected to it internally via a ribbon cable. I imagine one could fab up an external case and find a way to connect it to the card but the mail problem was that I could never get it to run reliably on Windows 7. Every once in a while the sound would go crazy and lock up the computer. I didn't have any hopes at all with it running on Windows 10.