external speaker for pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
i was wanting to know if they make an external speaker for the 96? cant hear scanner that good in vehicle with windows down road tried some 5 and 8 watt external speakers at the local electronics store but they were silent compared to the 96 alone any help please

scanner speaker

I have used the amplified speaker from radio shack for years with great success. It will power down after about 15-20 seconds on its own when the scanner stays quiet.

Mark

drouse3

It is inside your radio

Here are two mods that will bring up the volume. I use the one on the outside of the radio and it works just fine.

Attachments

• Pro-96_Audio_Mod.jpg
    Pro-96_Audio_Mod.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 771
  • EarphMod4.jpg
    EarphMod4.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:

Chris0381

I actually use a pair of powered computer speakers and get great results $20 at wallmart.

Scanning or music??????????

I have a cassette in the vehicle so I bought a RS CD to Cassette Adapter (12-1999) and tried it.

All I can say is WOW. Good, crisp, clear, loud audio.

If you can do without the music..........

Mic.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
twowayradiomouse said:
I have a cassette in the vehicle so I bought a RS CD to Cassette Adapter (12-1999) and tried it.

All I can say is WOW. Good, crisp, clear, loud audio.

I always thought the sound sucked coming out of those. If I feel the need to hook my scanner into my stereo then I use the aux input and then have 1000 watts of jammin scanner radio sound :D

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
I have a battery powered amplified speaker from the Shack that uses either a 9 volt battery or a transformer. I have it plugged into a voltage regulator in my car that drops 12 volts to 9 volts. It has it's own swtich and volume control also. I have one of Radio Shacks small mobile extension speakers plugged into that and use a jumper cable from the scanner to the speaker. I had used the car stereo when I had my Country Squire wagon, but it gave up at 283,000 miles and I now have an Alero. I have the speaker placed in the cubby hole at the front of the console, and that helps with the sound. Everything is set up on a switch so I can turn it all off at once. (these new cars don't have any good place to tape into accy power). I have the amplified speaker velcored to the right side of the console. I still need to drill a hole in the cubby hole to run the external speaker cable out from behind the dash. Plus find a bracket to put my scanner holder on. Panavice shows one for the Alero, I just need to see if anyone has it. For now the cup holder in front of the gear shift is working ok.

drouse3

help with outside radio mod

It is just a paper clip. Use a thin one because you have to get the ant. back on the scanner. The ear phone jack side should be ok if the ant. goes back on the scanner. I used a copper wire out of some spare coax I had.

Remember the outside mod saves your warranty and is not permanent.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
thanks everyone the paper clip works great nearly triples the volume in the external speaker i am amazed by the performance wish i knew how it really what made it work like that

DickH

Dubbin said:
I always thought the sound sucked coming out of those. If I feel the need to hook my scanner into my stereo then I use the aux input and then have 1000 watts of jammin scanner radio sound :D

You must have a heavy duty electrical system and some really big wires feeding that stereo, since 1000 watts will draw about 80 AMPS. :)

NYRHKY94

I recently pulled an old RS cassette adpator out of my junk drawer and
decided to give it a try with my Pro-96. I was pleasantly surprised
by the quality of the sound coming out of the car speakers.

The cassette deck in my car was basically unused (because of the CD
player), so this has now become a very nice option for me when going
mobile with the Pro-96.

Mike

P.S. I found that it's best to keep the volume down low on the Pro-96
and instead turn it up using the stereo volume.

MacombMonitor

I used to do the paper clip thing on many scanners. Be advised, someone told me if you do that on the new Uniden BCD396T, you can burn it out. Not sure if that's been confirmed. It has never caused any problems with other scanners.

As the previous posts indicate, it just bypasses a resistor that was added to limit the audio level on the earphone jack so you wouldn't damage your ear.

drouse3

Thank you for telling him how it works. I bet the BCD396T uses a diode to lower the audio. Good point, I will say it only works on the pro-96 since it is the only radio I have used it on.

MacombMonitor said:
I used to do the paper clip thing on many scanners. Be advised, someone told me if you do that on the new Uniden BCD396T, you can burn it out. Not sure if that's been confirmed. It has never caused any problems with other scanners.

As the previous posts indicate, it just bypasses a resistor that was added to limit the audio level on the earphone jack so you wouldn't damage your ear.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
the paper clip also works on the 97 as well. whoever thought that a .03 cent paper clip could be worth so much

Status
Not open for further replies.