external speaker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervin1

i have a 396t and am wondering if i can hook an external set of computer speakers to the earphone jack without ruining the circuitry of my scanner . Being the speakers require a ac power adapter will this hurt my scanner

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
It won't hurt it a bit, and should work very nicely. Assuming, of course, you have a standard 1/8" input plug on the speakers, and there is no voltage on that plug. You can check for voltage if you really think there might be some, with a voltmeter. There is no reason for any voltage to be present on that plug on powered speakers that work properly.

red8

No problem, I have mine hooked up to pair of Altec Lansing computer
speakers on mine and they work perfectly. And they do not effect the
speaker on my 396 when I unplug them to use the just the scanner by itself

ervin1

thnks guys by the way red i purchased a set of altec lansing bx1020 speakers and hooked them to my scanner .. they work great .. paid $16.00 at walmart

Atl_GA

I just bought the altec lansing bx1020 speakers today and one of the speakers don't play. How do I get it to work? Please help.

ddpelpwb9tev

related question..

I see uniden has a choice of wattage for their speaker looks like 5, 12 and 20 watts which would be better for listening leven from the BCD996T?

MarkEagleUSA

ddpelpwb9tev said:
5, 12 and 20 watts
That's the output that the speaker is designed to handle. The 996 specs state that the audio output is 2.6W nominal into 8Ω speaker, so any of those speakers will work. A 20w speaker won't be any louder than a 5w, but the sound will be different based on speaker size, magnet weight, etc.

jrs71

ddpelpwb9tev said:
I see uniden has a choice of wattage for their speaker looks like 5, 12 and 20 watts which would be better for listening leven from the BCD996T?

I bought a Bearcat ESP 12 (12 watt) off ebay. It really improved the sound of my 996 and is a well made nice looking speaker.
]

Status
Not open for further replies.