External speaker recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I need an external speaker for my 2055. I plan on mounting my 2055 in the DIN sleeve where the ashtray/cigarette lighter was in the dogbox cover.

The small units from RS are damn expensive. I just don't see almost 30 bucks for a small speaker.....or is it worth it??

Any recommendations?

jeffrey420

bubbaearle said:
I need an external speaker for my 2055. I plan on mounting my 2055 in the DIN sleeve where the ashtray/cigarette lighter was in the dogbox cover.

The small units from RS are damn expensive. I just don't see almost 30 bucks for a small speaker.....or is it worth it??

Any recommendations?

You might try to find one at a closing RS store.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I thought of that.....

....but is it worth it?

Maybe I need to take my 97 in & hook one up.

jeffrey420

I've seen another thread that talked about the powered Radio Shack ext. spkr. They had some positive things to say about that one. The number was (21-541). From a closing store it would be about $15 - $17.

I've personally tried the smaller non powered spkr. (19-318) and had a harder time hearing it as opposed to the 97 by itself. I liked the looks of it, but as far as volume it was a waste.

The other one I've never tried, but I think you would be better off staying with something that is amplified.

I've also heard of people running it through their stereo inputs.

Last edited:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I may give the amplified speaker a shot.......gunna look around at the truck stops near here, maybe they have some cheaper. 30 bucks is a little steep just for a speaker.

Maybe I'm just a tightwad........

kc7vtr

I have a pair of Sony stereo speakers meant to be connected to portable CD player or other such small stereo. On a whim and after adding the wire-around-the-antenna-and-speaker-plug mod, it sounds surprising good here at home. The volume is somewhat louder and has very clear sound. Haven't tried it in the car yet.

mustang108

Premium Subscriber
powered amplified speaker

I have had an amplified speaker in my PU for 3-4 yrs and wouldn't have anything else., i can hear clearly over the road and wind noise with windows down and going highway speed.
mustang108

Bentley

jeffrey420 said:
I've personally tried the smaller non powered spkr. (19-318) and had a harder time hearing it as opposed to the 97 by itself. I liked the looks of it, but as far as volume it was a waste.

Jeffrey:

On the pro-97 they have a "hearing protection feature" which saves your hearing if you were to plug in headphones it would not be very loud. Unfortunatley, it will drastically reduce the volume of external speakers also. What a lot of people do (there are a few threads about this topic) is take a small piece of wire, wrap it around the antenna base (metal part) then wrap it around the speaker plug (also on the metal part) before plugging it into the scanner......problem solved! The volume will be extremely loud with the external speaker when you have the wire hooked up. Some people also use a paper clip. This just bypasses the volume limitor, and does not harm your scanner. I have it on all my handhelds.

As for the 2055 speaker, you will not have to do this wire trick because there are two seperate plugs, one on the front for headphones, one on the back for a speaker. The one in the back works GREAT with the small speaker. I have it on my 2096 & 2055. I can drive with the windows open at 60+ MPH and I never have to put the volume past 1/4 of the way.

In my opinion it is definitley worth the $30 bucks....go for it, you wont be dissapointed on the performance, especially on the 2055! It sounds great....LOUD & CLEAR!!!

Last edited:

jeffrey420

Thanks for the info. I did get the amplified spkr. today at one of the closing stores for $12.40 with 60% off. The 97 sounds great with headphones.

Thanks again, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.