external speakers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervin1

ok guys i need some help on this one???? Would it be ok to use a set of small 2-5 watt computer speakers which require a power supply on my 396t ??? Or would it mess up the circuitry in the scanner when i plug it into the earphone adapter..???? has anyone tried this i need some feed-back on this question plz.>>>>>>>>>>steve

your degree of interference when rigging up external speakers to your 396 will depend alot on your 396's location and what antenna it is using.

not to mention the type of external speaker!

i have had no problem in the past just plugging a set of computer speakers into the audio-out jack of the 396 and listening to a local trunked systems or conventional frequencies.

HOWEVER

when you get to sensitive frequencies, like the Civilian Air Band, you might experience some problems. just remember that the speaker wire can also act as an antenna in some cases. also, depending on how close your scanner is to a computer, your computer may generate some RF that can interfere with Airband, 150Mhz, 400Mhz, etc.

i had such a challenge with linking up external speakers to my 396 (which was plugged into a huge yagi antenna) that i finally just dug up some old TV-to-TV 2.4Ghz wireless links and ran the 396 -> 2.4Ghz link -> 2.4Ghz link -> entertainment center with large receiver and speakers.

in my case, the antenna and frequencies i was scanning were so sensitive, anytime i WALKED NEARBY with a laptop, the scanner would lock on RF bleed.

ervin1

i dont have a computer i was going to buy a set of the 2 or 5 watt amplified speakers and they require to be plugged into a power adapter . i want to be sure that when i plug them into my 396t it wont blow the circuitry in my scanner

SCPD

QRT
Should be ok. I run POWERED computer speekers on my 785. the radio actually hears more interference from the Computer's Monitor than it does from the speekers.

ervin1

thnks for all the help guys hooked a set of altec lansing BX1020 to my 396 and they work like a charm by the way there $16.00 at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.