EZ-Scan: How to auto-convert RCS talkgroups into NextGen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
In order to "auto-convert" your current RCS talkgroups into your new NextGen systems in Whistler EZ-Scan, first select Trunking Options Talkgroup ID Mode, and change it from decimal to HEX. Next, create your new Project 25 Nextgen system with sites. Then, go to the talkgroup list of your current RCS system, and right click and select Export All Talkgroup Objects to CSV File. Next, open the saved file in Windows Notepad, and select EDIT/SELECT ALL. Go back into EZ-Scan, to your NextGen talkgroup list, which is probably blank, and select Import From Clipboard.

Congratulations, you now have a properly formatted talkgroup list conforming to Project 25 with correctly auto converted talkgroup ID's. You may now switch back to normal or decimal view mode.

THIS ALSO WORKS FOR SD CITY 800 TO 700 CONVERSION.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Forget a step, when in Notepad, EDIT/SELECT ALL/COPY.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
For some reason, this doesn't work for me. I get weird TG numbers like 02F when I change from Decimel to Hex.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
NO NO NO, you work in HEX to do your EZ Scan RCS or SD City 800 to NextGen or 700 conversions, then when you are ready to program the scanner SD card, switch EZ Scan back into Decimal mode. HEX talkgroup numbers are identical for the old RCS and the NextGen, but Decimal talkgroup numbers require conversion between systems. Motorola radios use HEX, scanners convert the HEX into Decimal for display because scanner users are scared of letters. :)

You can test this out by programming an RCS and Nextgen talkgroup with their respective Decimal ID's, then swithc to HEX, and you will see that although the Decimal are different, the HEX are exactly the same.

Paul

QUOTE="W6KRU, post: 3171687, member: 189406"]
02F is HEX for 47. Maybe you just need to convert back to decimal.
[/QUOTE]

W6KRU

NO NO NO, you work in HEX to do your EZ Scan RCS or SD City 800 to NextGen or 700 conversions, then when you are ready to program the scanner SD card, switch EZ Scan back into Decimal mode. HEX talkgroup numbers are identical for the old RCS and the NextGen, but Decimal talkgroup numbers require conversion between systems. Motorola radios use HEX, scanners convert the HEX into Decimal for display because scanner users are scared of letters. :)

You can test this out by programming an RCS and Nextgen talkgroup with their respective Decimal ID's, then swithc to HEX, and you will see that although the Decimal are different, the HEX are exactly the same.

Paul

QUOTE="W6KRU, post: 3171687, member: 189406"]
02F is HEX for 47. Maybe you just need to convert back to decimal.
[/QUOTE]
I understand that Paul. I just wasn't sure where Laura was seeing the 02F (before/after export , before/after import, etc.). Since I wasn't sure where she was seeing the 02F I replied in the best way I could.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
When you set HEX in EZ Scan, and program the radio that way (Uniden also), the scanner displays HEX on the LCD. If you switch back to decimal just before writing to the scanner, you will see "normal" decimal ID's after the scanner is programmed. The key take away is to operate EZ Scan in HEX while copying and pasting old to new.

Paul

I understand that Paul. I just wasn't sure where Laura was seeing the 02F (before/after export , before/after import, etc.). Since I wasn't sure where she was seeing the 02F I replied in the best way I could.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.