EZ Scan refinements requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I am posting this to see if others support these requested modifications to EZ Scan:

- Change the alert field to be a dropdown box similar to the squelch field. With 16 options of alert this would make selection faster than having to click thru all of them
- Somehow allow default selections for new entries, eg ALWAYS set record on, or ALWAYS set squelch to “Search” etc.
- In the audio playback, section move the “Access Control” from a field in the section above to a field displayed in the grid. This would allow sorting by CTCSS/DCS/NAC etc. This is helpful in identifying new listings
- Similarly, Place the NXDN RAN and DMR slot & CC info shown in “Extra Info” (Why does this not show in “Access Control”?) into the same grid field to allow sorting.

w

TAbirdman

Need to send your suggestions/ideas to Whistler's suggestion email. - See Whistler Wendy's post about it -

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
As I noted my goal was to elicit support from others.
What do others think about these mods?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As I never record, I don't see my need for that option. Scanner programming specifics and wants/needs will vary from user to user, some of us don't want what others want. Some of us don't want to have to uncheck a bunch of default options. EZ Scan is ok as is, IMHO. I like that you can customize to your own individual preferences. That's half the fun of customized programming.

Ubbe

- Change the alert field to be a dropdown box similar to the squelch field. With 16 options of alert this would make selection faster than having to click thru all of them
Abslolutly, I agree on this. If you click past the one you wanted you'll have to click 15 times to go around the whole loop.
- Somehow allow default selections for new entries, eg ALWAYS set record on, or ALWAYS set squelch to “Search” etc.
You probably could use the "Export selected object to CSV" with the default settings you want and import, or first copy and paste in the CSV and add all the frequencies and name tags then do import. Or import the same line multiple times and then do the final edit in EZ-Scan.[/QUOTE]
- Similarly, Place the NXDN RAN and DMR slot & CC info shown in “Extra Info” (Why does this not show in “Access Control”?) into the same grid field to allow sorting.
At least the DMR CC info should have a column to be able to sort it.

Good points and and agree on all.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I just posted a review of EZ Scan and a short list of bugs. I have more I didn't include. I ended the review with suggestions of what should be done to EZ Scan to make it work for more people (and without errors). I didn't even program/use/review the record option. I can see why they added it -- a digital scanner with an embedded micro SD card makes it an easy feature.

The sort functions in EZ Scan only sort what you see on the PC screen and do not sort what gets programmed into the scanner. This is a major issue of mine.

When it comes to NXDN programming, there are several columns in EZ Scan dedicated to that purpose. When I am not programming such a channel (which is MOST of the time), I don't want these columns taking up valuable screen space. When we are programming NXDN, there's lots of ways to improve the experience including your suggestion.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I thought Wistler was closed?

Nope, far from closed.
They did stop any development of the rumored TRX-100 and 200 scanner radios but they are very much still around.
Whistler has made radar detectors for ages and unless someone buys them out, I don't see their radar detector division going away anytime soon. I think it's fairly popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.