EZ Scan Software and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
EZScan and Linux

Would there be a need to acquire new drivers if using Liniux?

Is EZ Scan software capable of running on Linux? If so, what do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

cherubim

Premium Subscriber

Have you installed Wine ? Once you do that you can install EZScan by using the Wine Windows Program Loader. Whether it will work correctly is another matter.

You could of course Install EZScan in a Windows Virtual Machine (Win7, Win8) using VirtualBox/VMWare.

oracavon

I'm not personally familiar with EZ Scan, but I believe that it uses the standard USB interface and therefore the standard USB drivers built into the OS you're using (either Windows or Linux). So you wouldn't need any special drivers for Linux any more than you would need special drivers for Windows.

As far as running it on Linux, there is a standard Linux software utility called Wine which allows you to run a lot of Windows programs on Linux. It doesn't work for all Windows programs, but it has an online database which lists a gazillion Windows apps and the test results of using Wine to run them. Unfortunately, EZ Scan isn't one of the ones that has been tested, so you'd have to try it for yourself to see if it will work with Wine.

You can get more information about Wine and download the current package for your version of Linux at the Wine website: WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) and EZScan

I have installed WINE on my computer and EZScan and when I attach the PSR800, the computer sees it as a local drive. EZScan wants to look for a removable drive (the SD card) and does not see it as the computer has loaded it as a local drive. The problem is how do I get EZScan to see the PSR800, which it does not, that the computer does see?
Thanks

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I have installed WINE on my computer and EZScan and when I attach the PSR800, the computer sees it as a local drive. EZScan wants to look for a removable drive (the SD card) and does not see it as the computer has loaded it as a local drive. The problem is how do I get EZScan to see the PSR800, which it does not, that the computer does see?
Thanks

What you will have to do is map that drive to wine. I don't know how that would work.

You could open wine config (winecfg) and put the drive letter for the drive as one of the drives for wine.

I have used Linux since about 99 and the easiest thing to do is install Windows in a virtual machine.

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
The problem is EZScan wants to see a removable drive and when it is mapped, it is shown as a local drive in Ubuntu. As a local drive it does not show up in EZScan as a removable drive and therefore will not show up.

IowaGuy1603

The problem is EZScan wants to see a removable drive and when it is mapped, it is shown as a local drive in Ubuntu. As a local drive it does not show up in EZScan as a removable drive and therefore will not show up.

loaded EZScann on my Zorin Linux machine (using it to type this right now) and had the same problem

I am sure there IS A WAY to make either EZScann or Linux use the drive but I have no idea what it is. That is why I keep a "regular" windows based machine around :)

Well that and to program some radios................

jamesa53

That is why I keep a "regular" windows based machine around :)

Well that and to program some radios................

amen to this, I use a MacBook Pro and keep an old XP machine for radio programming XP isn't as hostile for programming as win 7 or 8

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

You can install real MS Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux platform.

More info here:
https://www.google.com/#q=run+windows+on+linux+virtual+machine

I've done this on Linux Mint, using the free version of Win4Lin. It worked perfectly! All ports, USB, RS232, Parallel, worked great. As did all HD's, and DVD drives.

Win4Lin
https://www.google.com/#q=win4lin

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Don't you have to power off the PSR-800 to read and write to the SD card in the scanner? Or you can remove the SD card from the scanner then put it back in the scanner. The PSR-700 you have to remove the card to read or write to the card. Hope this helps.

IowaGuy1603

Don't you have to power off the PSR-800 to read and write to the SD card in the scanner? Or you can remove the SD card from the scanner then put it back in the scanner. The PSR-700 you have to remove the card to read or write to the card. Hope this helps.

We are talking about doing this in Linux....................that OS "names things" differently than Windows

We can see the drives just can't get EZScan to recognize the drive as "writeable"

Tacosalad

Premium Subscriber
Why not just remove the micro SD card and put it into a usb card reader? Or would it still have the same problem?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry but the PSR-800 does the same thing listed in post #4 in windows until you power the scanner off. The OS sees it as a card or drive but the scanner software does not see it until you power off the scanner. I run 5 Linux servers so I know about Linux and names. I also have a working PSR-800 in windows. What would it hurt for you to try and see if it works by powering the scanner off also ebay sells used laptops for $25.00 that work.

IowaGuy1603

Why not just remove the micro SD card and put it into a usb card reader? Or would it still have the same problem?

It does on my Linux machine.

I use a Windows machine to program my 800.... as well as several of my Commercial and Ham radios..........and have no issues

It doesn't matter to me......I have already taken EZScan off my Linux machines I was trying to help the other person

Last edited:

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
Sorry but the PSR-800 does the same thing listed in post #4 in windows until you power the scanner off. The OS sees it as a card or drive but the scanner software does not see it until you power off the scanner. I run 5 Linux servers so I know about Linux and names. I also have a working PSR-800 in windows. What would it hurt for you to try and see if it works by powering the scanner off also ebay sells used laptops for $25.00 that work.

I have the scanner power off. So how do I get EZScan to see the scanner on Ubuntu 14.04? I have a Windows 7 pc but I would like to use my laptop as a backup which is Ubuntu 14.04. The PSR-800 is seen on Ubuntu 14.04.

Status
Not open for further replies.