TRX-2: EZ Scan/TRX-2 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok...I'm stumped here. I've searched the manual and these forums for an answer without any luck. I manually entered 2 Trunk systems, both identical. One I entered as a NXDN-C and one as NXDN-D. When I import to the SD Card, the Talkgroups and Radio ID's display in the HEX format on the NXDN-D Trunking System, while it displays in the Decimal format in the NXDN-C Trunking System. I prefer to have it in decimal format, but can't find anything in the Trunking Sites tab. In the General Settings tab, I do have Decimal format in the drop down menu under Trunking Options highlighted. What am I missing?

troymail

Silent Key
NXDN-C talkgroups are in decimal format while NXDN-D are in XX-XXXX format. This is consistent with both the way the talkgroups are listed on RRDB and how they appear in DSD.

I *think* you could set the D type system to NXDN-C without any real consequence and get decimal IDs there as well (other than those IDs won't match other sources).

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Nxdn type C uses a dedicated control channel and voice/data channels are chosen from the control channel

Nxdn type D is distributed with all channels operating as voice/data and does not use a control channel

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
After a few days of a learning curve, I think I have a pretty good grasp of EZ Scan and my TRX-2 now. Coming from Sentinel, I can see where both have pluses and minuses. I also had a few disasters along the way with Scan Lists/Scan Sets, Error codes but never panicked and went through the threads and found some very useful information.

I tried different ways to program, and am comfortable using the Scan Lists. After trying the Scan Set method for a little bit, I prefer to turn on and off via the Scanlists. I'm currently using only one NXDN trunking site with 22 frequencies which I confirmed all as being active in this system via the Search mode. Most are using RAN 6 but have some using other RAN's, so Any has been selected. All frequencies are showing NXDN 48 and I have programmed the site accordingly.

I was able to tackle a few issues today, and not sure what I did wrong yet. I was trying to send updates to the SD card in the scanner and my files must have become corrupted. My files were empty or corrupted and no changes were being made. I removed the SD card and put it directly into my computer and the updates went smooth. I'll try to make some small changes to my programming tomorrow and see how it goes.

On a side note, I'm happy Whistler has given me the opportunity to monitor both DMR and NXDN for a reasonable price. Both the 536hp and TRX-2 are feature enriched, and I enjoy using the Search feature because I can "block out" the Analog transmissions and look for the P25/DMR/NXDN transmissions. As others have posted, a Copy/Paste addition to the EZ Scan would be helpful, as I've had to reenter Talkgroups a few times when I screwed up.

It appears the NXDN Trunking is working, and I have currently set up the site with 22 frequencies as NXDN-C. I have programmed in a control channel too, and from what I can tell, I'm hearing many full conversations. I know businesses have a tendency not to use proper radio etiquette and don't always reply, which would drive me crazy if I was talking, but heard nothing in return. At first I thought the scanner wasn't trunking, but after further research, I now know that's how some businesses operate their radio system.

For all those die-hard Uniden folks who keep hoping for the NXDN upgrade, I really don't know the thought process over there. I truly enjoy my 436 & 536, but the silence from corporate headquarters is frustrating. If an upgrade is made available, I'd be the first to pay for it, but I really am beginning to wonder if that will happen. As I posted there before, the guessing game has wore thin for me. Thank you Whistler for giving us another option, and I really hope things change on the Uniden side soon.

TRX-2

Just placed a order for the TRX-2 to replace my PRO-197 i use as a base scanner,Question how happy are you with the TRX-2? i got this for the DMR not many things on DMR worth monitoring here in Cleveland i did up date my GRE800 to the 1080 now has DMR works great.

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
Just placed a order for the TRX-2 to replace my PRO-197 i use as a base scanner,Question how happy are you with the TRX-2? i got this for the DMR not many things on DMR worth monitoring here in Cleveland i did up date my GRE800 to the 1080 now has DMR works great.

David I also have a 197 and am considering a TRX-2. I look forward to your experience with the new box. I've been scanning for several years using the ARC500 software. Still feel ignorant at times and concerned about the upgrade. Mainly interested for P-II and possibly getting some lost traffic due to an agency changing systems.

David R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David R. i had to up date the CPU to 4.4 the DSP to 3.0 set these levels DSP Level 254 ADC Gain +0db DAC Gain +0db the scanner works 100% better still can trunk the Ohio Marcs 700\800 System.I'm getting the G5 VHF should have it Tomorrow i could never monitor Ohio Marcs with any scanner so the G5 will fix that problem.i was using a XTS-2500 700\800 Portable for Marcs Non-Affiliation scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.