EZscan - Why so much dissatisfaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

For months I've read comments from TRX users griping about EZscan, saying that it is "difficult to work with", "illogical", "Unidens's Sentinel is so much better", etc. Frankly, I much prefer EZscan to Sentinel. One thing I like about EZscan is that it is easy to select the slot number for DMR systems, something you can't do with a single frequency DMR channel in Sentinel unless you go through the roundabout method of creating a one-frequency trunking system (???!!). Perhaps people were already used to Uniden's Sentinel, then when Whistler created its own programming software which was different from Sentinel, folks didn't like it, mostly because it was just "different".

Of the two, EZscan gets my preference vote, not Sentinel.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
For months I've read comments from TRX users griping about EZscan, saying that it is "difficult to work with", "illogical", "Unidens's Sentinel is so much better", etc. Frankly, I much prefer EZscan to Sentinel. One thing I like about EZscan is that it is easy to select the slot number for DMR systems, something you can't do with a single frequency DMR channel in Sentinel unless you go through the roundabout method of creating a one-frequency trunking system (???!!). Perhaps people were already used to Uniden's Sentinel, then when Whistler created its own programming software which was different from Sentinel, folks didn't like it, mostly because it was just "different".

Of the two, EZscan gets my preference vote, not Sentinel.

I've had little problem with either of them once I figured out the particular foibles of each, but I do have to admit that I am partial to EZScan; it's written by the same gentleman who does Win500 and other packages for the earlier GRE scanners and is quite feature-rich, once you figure out where everything is.

The one thing that still has me scratching my head is the inability to manually create a trunking system. If I import trunked systems from the Library (just systems and sites) then manually add desired talkgroups, it scans just fine. However, if I manually create the same system, add the frequencies, talkgroups and other settings, it rarely works even though the settings are exactly the same.

It's not a major issue, I simply had to get used to importing systems then pasting in the desired talkgroups; once I got used to it, though, I found I prefer it that way.

SOFA_KING

Easy answer...No cut and paste (or copy and paste)...or move channel(s) up/down in EZscan. Sentinel lets you do all that. And as someone who has to edit my scan lists frequently to add new stuff and switch things around, I can't easily put the new channel(s) where I want them, or move other channels around. As a result, stuff gets spread all over the place. I hate that! There IS an optimal order to scan channels that can make a significant difference in efficiency, giving priority traffic first shot, and EZscan fails that without doing major work to rebuild lists every time you want to add or move stuff. Whistler should UNLOCK THE CUT/COPY/INSERT/PASTE functions if they want to compete with the "ease" of use Sentinel exhibits.

Another thing that irks me is how long it takes to change something in a group...like scan delay values. Changing anything seems to take major effort and time. Too klunky!

And why the heck did they break off digital DMR and NXDN into a separate column from P25? Stupid!

I agree that Uniden's "One Frequency Digital Trunked" method is absolutely ridiculous. But that is a scanner design issue, and not so much a software issue. I guess it's similar to the digital divide Whistler did between DMR/NXDN and P25...a scanner design issue.

PS - EZscan was NOT written by DonS. WIN500 is great, but EZscan is no WIN500!
Phil

Last edited:

wbswetnam

The one thing that still has me scratching my head is the inability to manually create a trunking system. If I import trunked systems from the Library (just systems and sites) then manually add desired talkgroups, it scans just fine. However, if I manually create the same system, add the frequencies, talkgroups and other settings, it rarely works even though the settings are exactly the same.

It's not a major issue, I simply had to get used to importing systems then pasting in the desired talkgroups; once I got used to it, though, I found I prefer it that way.

I have created trunked systems in EZscan by entering everything manually, and I've had no problems scanning those manually created systems.

DJ11DLN

For me it's a familiarity thing. On rare occasions when I have to break out Sentinel (I do not yet own an X36 but have set up a few for folks), I'm lost for the first 10 minutes or so. Whereas I use E-Z Scan frequently, so it works more intuitively for me. But I suspect Sentinel would if I used it more often. And I think that people who are complaining either are used to Sentinel (or some other program for the DMA scanners), or are new to this type of operation and don't have any context as to the complexity of it.

I personally don't find any of these programs to be "easy." I can and do use them, but it is a case of having to be totally on my game (no distractions, no headache, not fatigued, etc) if I am going to do anything with any of them, lest I terminally mess something up and have to start from scratch. But that merely reflects the fact that I have limited computer skills, and that my personal cranial data retrieval system doesn't work quite as well as it used to.:(

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have created trunked systems in EZscan by entering everything manually, and I've had no problems scanning those manually created systems.

I agree, it's very intuitive in my opinion. And I use Sentinel for Uniden and EZScan for Whistler so I have experience with both.

I think some of the "dislike" of EZScan comes from those who are accustomed to Sentinel (or to older software) and they just get frustrated before taking the time to see how intuitive EZScan is to use.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I like most everything about it, with the exception of the inability to copy from it and paste elsewhere, as well as not being able to center alphatags within their column (OCD, I know).

Re trunking systems: With the sole exception of the first day I had the first TRX, I've never used (and have in fact uninstalled) the 'library' due to it's wild inaccuracy. I have currently loaded 2902 conventional freqs and 12 trunked systems, one with 50 sites; all done manually and no issues beyond my inability to spell sometimes.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I just recently purchased a TRX-2 after many years working with Uniden software and with the x36 series, becoming familiar with Sentinel software, which took some time to get the hang of it too. While I admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at first, I'm working patiently to get this. This morning I crashed the SD card by accident and came to the forums and followed the instructions and everything is working again.

As a previous poster said, I'm no fan of importing the Library due to many inaccuracies and just don't need it. As I type this, I'm trying to figure out how to "hold" a talkgroup when it comes up on the Wildcard, as I would do on a Uniden ID Search then "hold" the active talkgroup.

So yes, both softwares have their limitations, plus and minus but like Sentinel, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Joseph11

My only issues with it are that there's no copy/paste and no ability to rearrange objects (up/down). These are sorta important things that should have been implemented in the first release.

Nasby

As others have said, the lack of cut/copy and paste has crippled what is otherwise pretty decent programming software.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
And having to have a separate version of the software for each scanner is sad. I have 3 different models and need 3 different versions of EZScan to maintain them. Wish they'd make a version that handled multiple models.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1, so what I'm reading here is that If I purchase a TRX-2 I will need to download an additional EZ-Scan program??????? That makes no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.