F/G/Murs

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchill

Premium Subscriber
FRS/GMRS/MURS/DOT/STAR (F/G/MURS) - Searches the FRS, GMRS, MURS, DOT and STAR radio frequencies, SO, what are these frequencies and what kind of chat would be on them? New to scanning I have a gre psr 500 thank you

PC_Medic

FRS/GMRS/MURS/DOT/STAR (F/G/MURS) - Searches the FRS, GMRS, MURS, DOT and STAR radio frequencies, SO, what are these frequencies and what kind of chat would be on them? New to scanning I have a gre psr 500 thank you

FRS = Family Radio Service ... see Family Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GMRS = General Mobile Radio Service
MURS = Multi-Use Radio Service

These (especially FRS) are used by small hand held walkie-talkie type transceivers with varying ranges from 2 to about 15 miles. Most common use I see these days is hunters and such to keep in touch with each other in the field, or parents keeping in touch with kids that have not yet been spoiled with a cell phone.

DOT I believe would be Department of Transportation used by local highway departments and such.

STARS is STate Agency Radio System and I believe exists in Virginia only (not 100% sure on that part).
It is used by State Police and other state agencies and allows them to communicate with each other statewide.

If you type any of these in the search box in the upper right corner here on RR you can find plenty of info and discussion on them.

DonS

"dot" and "star" refer to specific frequencies.

For example, "blue dot" and "green dot" are MURS frequencies (154.570MHz and 154.600MHz, respectively), while "silver star" and "gold star" are 467.850MHz 467.875MHz, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.