F Type Coax Connectors...My Fat Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Newbie here with a silly question.

I'm new to the hobby (about a month) and here is a photo of the back of my radio.

There was a forecast for thunderstorms last night so I disconnected my coax cable from SW Ext. Ant (on the right). It's a struggle to get my fat finger and thumb in there to disconnect and connect the coax cable.

Is there a F type coax extension/adapter connector? Something I can install on the SW Ext Ant connection that would bring it out an additional inch or two? Making it easier to connect the coax.

I'm thinking this might be what I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions besides losing weight in my finger and thumb?

Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Also - Look for push-on F-connectors.... they're available. Push on, pull off.... no threads.

Yeah. While you are at Home Depot, just pick up one of these:

Easier and cheaper. The tool is fine, but you can just use a 7/16" wrench if you have one.

WA8ZTZ

Ditto on the push-on connector but get two of them. Put one on the radio and the other on the end of the coax.
Leave the one on the radio connected all the time and use the one on the end of the coax to push-on and pull-off as needed.
WHY ? … so as not to wear out the "F" connector on the radio with constant on and off. The contacts will lose their spring
tension after awhile and it would be a real PITA to have to replace the connector on the radio. If you leave a push on connector
on the radio until it wears out you can then just discard it and replace it with another. They are
inexpensive, can often find them in the dollar store.

scloyd

Also - Look for push-on F-connectors.... they're available. Push on, pull off.... no threads.
Yeah. While you are at Home Depot, just pick up one of these:

Easier and cheaper. The tool is fine, but you can just use a 7/16" wrench if you have one.
Ditto on the push-on connector but get two of them. Put one on the radio and the other on the end of the coax.
Leave the one on the radio connected all the time and use the one on the end of the coax to push-on and pull-off as needed.
WHY ? … so as not to wear out the "F" connector on the radio with constant on and off. The contacts will lose their spring
tension after awhile and it would be a real PITA to have to replace the connector on the radio. If you leave a push on connector
on the radio until it wears out you can then just discard it and replace it with another. They are
I decided to go with the two push on connectors. Works like a charm.
Thank you all.

a417

U+0000
+1 to the 'pigtail' idea.

You can get a screw on one that you leave on the radio (until you have to change it), and short piece of coax that is easily accessible to an area you chose, and then another F female that will attach to your F male on your antenna wire. You can route it to somewhere that you don't have to bend over / reach / fumble with, and the connectors on the pigtail take all the wear and tear...not the device connector.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Skinny fingers here and those F connectors are still a challenge, probably due to the fine threads. I find it hard to get them started as it has to be perfectly level with the female connector to do so. Push-on connectors are the greatest, even have a right angle one that comes in handy.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
The push on connector is what the cable industry uses. More than likely that's what you'll find on the end of their meters they use to set up amps, fiber nodes and at the side of the house at the ground block. They are commonly referred to as "quickies". That's what we called them. . . I used them for 25 years on my meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.