F18 hornet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0CSE

Just made a contact with a Navy F18 HORNET flying at 27,000 feet at 776 miles an hour...on Simplex !!!!!....he was over Kansas City and was making contacts like crazy....never again will this happen...Mike

KC0CSE

Just made a contact with a Navy F18 HORNET flying at 27,000 feet at 776 miles an hour...on Simplex !!!!!....he was over Kansas City and was making contacts like crazy....never again will this happen... he was out of KC and Springfield Mo in 5min's......out

Kenwood 261a

KC0CSE

I did not pick that up he gave it out each time...I was more interested in trying to contact him...there were so many trying to work him......

autovon

Ø
Congrats on the contact.
I talked to him a few years ago when they were flying the EA-6B on 2M. You never know what will pop up on the simplex freqs, so never say never! That ARC-210 he was using will do 30-400 MHz.
There's a pilot who calls CQ on 28.400 that flies a 777 I think. Also here's a C-135 pilot that's been known to pop up on 146.52 and HF every so often as well.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Yea, I talked to the 10 meter pilot guy last year, cool guy. I wish I would have had my radio on today to catch the F18.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've QSOed with a number of A/Ms but never anything like THAT, like, WOW! At 27,000 feet he had one heck of a footprint, I can't IMAGINE the dog pile on his end.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Very cool.

I used to go aero mobile in the Cessna, and could draw a pileup on 146.52 simplex. I can only imagine the draw that an F18 at FL270 would be. I've worked a handful of bored commercial and military pilots on HF on long over water flights before, and it's pretty neat. I wonder if it was the back seater on a two seat version, or if it was the pilot himself.

RodStrong

I think his call is KC4VBE. I heard him pass by my way in the midwest a few weeks ago. He was on 146.52 and chatting it up.

.52 is largely a pretty quiet frequency in my parts, but I monitor it religiously when working. Glad I did that day. Pretty interesting listening to him. Seemed like a pretty friendly guy.

Last edited:

N5TWB

"Active duty Naval Aviator flying the EA-18G, an Electronic Attack 2 seat F-18 variant"

A flying footwarmer with the RF juice to mess up enemy comms and radars over a wide area in the interest of force protection...sweet!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thats cool,is there any special rules that you have to follow when your talking to a military aircraft?

W2NJS

Thats cool,is there any special rules that you have to follow when your talking to a military aircraft?

No special rules, assuming he holds a ham license. Years ago I had a B52 pilot get on HF and announce himself to one and all, and when someone asked him for his callsign he said he didn't have one, at which point he was summarily ordered off the frequency by another ham who was listening.

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
...at which point he was summarily ordered off the frequency by another ham who was listening.
Nice. Who cares if he had a ham license or not?! Like that would've been the downfall of ham radio.

To talk to a B-52 pilot is a once in a lifetime!

Spankymedic7

Wow! What an awesome experience! You're right, that'll never happen again!

To WX9EMS...nice callsign! Any chance you're an EMT/Paramedic?

speedmaster

Just made a contact with a Navy F18 HORNET flying at 27,000 feet at 776 miles an hour...on Simplex !!!!!....he was over Kansas City and was making contacts like crazy....never again will this happen...Mike

WOW, very cool! :)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
How much power were you using when transmiting? What kind of radio and antenna were you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.