• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F221s...suitable for MMDVM use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Since I have a surplus of these, will they make good MMDVM (either simplex or duplex) candidates? I'm thinking of pairing a couple with an STM-32 DVM Pi hat.

The accessory cables market for around $50, so before I invest...

1?-I assume radio is capable of 96K data
2?-I cant seem to find tx power levels in the CS-F100S software, just Low1,2 and High.

I'm familiar with Motos and Kenwoods, just new to the Icom commercial side, but these seem to be serious units judging by chassis design, heatsinks, etc. I have an Icom 5021 vhf for local 2 meter and it appears to be an excellent performer.
I already have many of the aforementioned units in ham, GMRS use amongst family but got to thinking these might make great P25, DMR, NXDN MMDVM units.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1?-I assume radio is capable of 96K data

Pretty sure it is if you are running in wide band mode.

2?-I cant seem to find tx power levels in the CS-F100S software, just Low1,2 and High.

If I recall correctly, it was 5, 10 and 40 (or 45). Probably adjustable in the service section.

I haven't had my hands on one of those in probably 15 years, so my memory may be a bit off.

12dbsinad

You can adjust power with the service software. Make sure you PM the radio before doing anything. The receivers have a tendency to drift as they age and will probably need to be realigned. First tell tale sign is problems with CTCSS decode. Check it out..

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all! (y)
Make sure you PM the radio before doing anything. The receivers have a tendency to drift as they age and will probably need to be realigned. First tell tale sign is problems with CTCSS decode. Check it out..
I don't have (easy) access to a service monitor/signal generator, but I will keep an eye on them.

My ham, GMRS, and scanning fleet is basically all commercial gear these days and I'm surprised at the total difference between Icom ham and commercial gear. You can see the commercial/public safety DNA in Kenwoods' V/UHF lineup over the years (which are no slouches). But the stark difference in Icom's gear is impressive. Figured I'd put the hardware to good use.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'd still put a fan on it. The Icom gear I used for Echolink nodes (F5021s and 221s) got pretty hot when keyed (even on L1) for 5 minutes the way typical gas bag hams talk. Remember they are mobile rigs intended for 5-5-90 or similar duty cycle, not the 90-10 duty cycle they'll see as an MMDVM host connected to a busy reflector.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
What board are you going to use to make your MMDVM repeater,I put one together using Mark Zimmerman stm32 Blue board and two CDM-1550 Moto radios and a Pi3 using Pi-Star,Mark makes a duplex cable for the repeater not sure if he makes one for the Icom F221 or you can make your own.........

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
What board are you going to use to make your MMDVM repeater,I put one together using Mark Zimmerman stm32 Blue board and two CDM-1550 Moto radios and a Pi3 using Pi-Star,Mark makes a duplex cable for the repeater not sure if he makes one for the Icom F221 or you can make your own.........
Pretty much planning along the same route. I will dig more into what you're using.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Remember they are mobile rigs intended for 5-5-90 or similar duty cycle, not the 90-10 duty cycle they'll see as an MMDVM host connected to a busy reflector.
Agreed. Running Allstar through a Yaesu 2600 and depending on what hub I connect to that rig can get HOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.