• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F5061 as NXDN scanner - best program settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Setup: Using refurb'd IC-F5061D (Rev 5.3, UT-126H: Rev 3.2, programmed w/5.2) to scan local Nexedge conventional repeaters. Single zone has 5 digital channels (Xmit is inhibited), RAN value is set, Squelch Type set to RAN.

Problem: When F5061D (on outdoor antenna) is in same room w/Uniden SDS-100 (rubber duck) scanning same 5 channels it's obvious that the Uniden is getting all or most of the traffic, whereas the F5061D misses a lot and merely shows a green LED (active receive but no audio). The F5061D does demodulate a fair amount of the traffic, but I'm thinking that there are likely some "Zone", "Digital", "Scan", "Common" or other programming settings that could be adjusted for better signal pickup.

Thanks in advance for your pondering.
Vern

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Is Union County NXDN 12.5 or 6.25? The older Icom iDAS radios like the 5061 only support 6.25 and not 12.5 NXDN. The 5061 has a hot front end, and unless you're is way out of alignment, it should blow the pants off a scanner.
Union is 6.25 kHz.
I agree, both the Icom F5061D's and the F3161D's have hot receivers but I don't think this is an rf sensitivity issue as much as it might be a digital demodulating issue, especially when the radio is scanning.
That's why I was wondering if there were some settings that I could make in the programming to enhance the digital. The Icom will show a green LED indicating that it's receiving rf on frequency, but it doesn't always demodulate the audio. This is on several mobiles and portables, not just one.
Thanks.

12dbsinad

What kind of scan are you running? Also, if you're selected on the channel, does it decode fine?

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I'm using Normal Scan (not Mode Dependent) of 5 NXDN conventional channels.
Staying on a selected channel improves the amount of audio received but there are still a lot of missed transmissions.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Timer settings in scan. Somewhere here is a thread on 5061 timer settings. It helped me tremendously I Will dig for it as well
In the SCAN SETTINGS folder, the first 2 items WATCH and WATCH UNMATCH have been changed from 5.0 minutes to 0.0 as there is no need for priority scanning in this rig. That seemed to help a lot. Also added RAN codes and changed SQUELCH TYPE to RAN. Estimate that those items increased my NXDN capture rate (while scanning) from 80% to 95%+.
Thanks for the response. If there's an old thread, I'd like to read it if you find a link.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to add a final note to this thread. On another forum for FL NXDN Amateur Radio users (not on rref.com) someone posted a similar problem about using older IDAS radios with newer NEXEDGE repeaters. One user suggested turning the "FAST UNMUTE" to the "ON" setting for every digital channel to compensate for the difference between some of the versions of the NXDN CAI software.
There are six of us locally with the same Scan issue. We all changed that setting for every NXDN channel and it made a huge improvement in the radio's ability to decode the unencrypted NXDN while in SCAN mode.
Thanks to all above who offered suggestions.
73 de Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.