• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F5061 with Heil Traveler Headset

Not open for further replies.


Premium Subscriber
Mar 15, 2008
I use a IC-F5061 for amateur radio and for working off road races using non ham frequencies for the race promoters. I would like to interface a Heil Traveler Headset with the F5061.

I have compared the mike pinout (RJ-45 connector) for Icom amateur mobiles with that of the F5061 and they appear to have the same pin definitions. I can key up the radio using the Heil-Icom adapter for the Traveler and the headset PTT but i don't get any audio.

Both ICOM amateur mobiles and the F5061 carry 8 volts on pin 1 but the amateur radios also include 5 volts on the mic output pin 5. Heil uses this 5 volts to drive the electret mic element. I can easily build short jumper cable with a circuit to bring voltage over to the mic output pin but wonder if I also need to add a capacitor to block DC voltage from returning into the radio or will the capacitors in the mic circuit be sufficient.

I also notice that the Heil cable includes a 4.7K ohm resistor in the mic output lead. I assume this is to reduce audio from the electret to the mic input in the radio but am not sure.

Does anyone know if I need to keep or eliminate the resistor when using the Heil headset with the F5061 and if kept should I feed the 5 volts before the resistor (between the radio and the resistor) or after it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Not open for further replies.