Facebook Launches NSA-Style Auto-Eavesdropping Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
www.prisonplanet.com/facebook-launches-nsa-style-auto-eavesdropping-feature.html

“I hope there are people who love the feature and post more,” says Facebook’s product manager excitedly about the new feature they just added. We suspect people will not… As The WSJ reports, starting Wednesday, the app has the ability to recognize music and television shows playing in the vicinity of users. Read that again… ‘in the vicinity of users’. In other words, Facebook is unveiling its own NSA-style eavesdropping feature (on you and all your friends). Don’t worry though… even if users decide not to share what they’re hearing or watching, Facebook will hold onto the data in anonymous form, keeping tabs on how many users watched particular shows. Sound familiar? [more]
I WONT EVER HAVE A SHEEPBOOK ACCOUNT AND IM GETTING PRETTY NERVOUS BEING AROUND SOMEONE WHO HAS A SMART PHONE WITH THIS CRAP ON IT!!!!

This is just their way of telling the users that they are doing this so that they can say yes we are using peoples cameras and microphones in the hope that more serious questions can be allayed before they are even asked!! (But most everyone on FB is a SHEEPLE and doesnt care about thier privacy.. BUT THEY ARE PUTTING THOSE OF US THAT DO @ RISK ALSO BEING AROUND THEM WITH THIS GARBAGE!!)

XTS3000

With the FB app on an iPhone (and ios7), you have to give an app microphone access. Any app that wants to use the mic needs user permission first.

Android phones, not sure if you need to give permission before an app can access and use the mic. Can anyone confirm or deny Android needing user permission before activating the mic?

I don't and will never use FB!! Aside from a complete waste of time, it's the #1 spy engine in the world. NSA must love FB for doing all the hard work, for which now NSA can sit back and listen and spy on everything and everyone.

CapStar362

i only use FB on PC.... cell is disabled for FB app, it came with the phone but i rooted my kitkat 4.4 Android and disabled the FB internal app......

just read that article, umm OP, you missed some key features and statements

your jumping the gun here...... yes Android requires user intervention to activate the mic.... it does not just start listening in public, that alone is a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen...... Android ( Google ) already has enough bad publicity to pull a stunt like that.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defa.../imageroot/2014/05-overflow/20140521_WTFB.png

first part of that image:

"When this icon is moving, we're trying to identify what your watching or listening to. Tap the Icon to turn it on or off.

now whether it really is disabled or not, we'll just have to wait for a SU "Super User" Android certified person or expert to confirm it.

also notice it says it works like the app Shazam..... i use Shazam, its pretty nifty.... you get close enough to a radio speaker or music device, tap the icon, it listens for about 5-10 seconds ( on 4g LTE or WiFi ) or 10-30 seconds ( 3g ) it WILL tell you what song your listening to with the option of where to purchase it from several vendors. but it WILL NOT listen without user input, you have to trigger it.

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I don't use FB App. I know the end of the month I'm deleting my account cause it's too slow or crashes.

T-Santon

I would love to take issue with this, but... The NSA can already do these things with our cell phones, and they never asked any of us for permission. So I'm a little more pissed at our Government than I am at Facebook.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

CapStar362

okay, seriously speaking here: Dude111, did you even read my reply?

you CANNOT activate the mic on a app without user intervention.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
okay, seriously speaking here: Dude111, did you even read my reply?
you CANNOT activate the mic on a app without user intervention.

So people think. Unfortunately though, that's incorrect.

See here: https://storify.com/EliLanger/android-apps-accessing-your-microphone-and-camera

I develop Android apps. I guarantee you I could write an app that I could use to record stuff around you any time it wanted to, with or without your knowledge - even while the phone is sleeping - so long as you gave it permission when you installed it.

There's more. Guess what happens if you don't accept the permissions on an Android app? It doesn't install! So if you want Facebook or whatever other app on your phone you have two choices - allow the big brother spy-era hardware control or do without the app. There is no "opt out" of any of the permissions an app says it needs. You either authorize all of them or you can't install the app. Period.

I miss the good old days when a phone was just a PHONE. This "smart" phone I have ought to be called a "Fart" phone for how many times it drops calls, reboots, crashes, won't ring when called, won't charge, won't hold a charge, etc. To be honest, I'm ready to throw it in the pool and get a regular phone again. I prefer tablets for apps anyway - bigger screen.

-AZ

CapStar362

guess i dont need FB Then, as i originally said too........ PC only. rooted and internally disabled FB from my Verizon Droid Ultra.

thats something new to me as well.... i knew about permissions.... but thats just stooping to a new low, da heck with this government! if i could, id move the germany or some crap!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
www.prisonplanet.com/facebook-launches-nsa-style-auto-eavesdropping-feature.html

I WONT EVER HAVE A SHEEPBOOK ACCOUNT AND IM GETTING PRETTY NERVOUS BEING AROUND SOMEONE WHO HAS A SMART PHONE WITH THIS CRAP ON IT!!!!

This is just their way of telling the users that they are doing this so that they can say yes we are using peoples cameras and microphones in the hope that more serious questions can be allayed before they are even asked!! (But most everyone on FB is a SHEEPLE and doesnt care about thier privacy.. BUT THEY ARE PUTTING THOSE OF US THAT DO @ RISK ALSO BEING AROUND THEM WITH THIS GARBAGE!!)

Fakebook is slowly dying a painful death. More people every day are realizing what a trap the site is. :roll:

n9zas

RadioPatriots

Fakebook is slowly dying a painful death. More people every day are realizing what a trap the site is. :roll:

n9zas

Exactly. I've had the the good (or bad) fortune to directly see what some of fakebook's algorithms for data collection and collation are. They use a generous helping of clever psychology (the sheep simply don't recognize it) in their innocuous looking "questions" and "surveys" to learn more and more about a person. Everything you do on fakebook is tabulated and stored, even if you delete your account. Not "deactivate" but delete your account.

The endgame is to perfectly profile a person's life. Likes, dislikes, friends, relatives, your relationships, sexual habits, food preferences, entertainment preferences, what you hate, what scares you, what would irrefutably move you to action (a sort of twisted symbol hijacking and/or fractionation). In fact, it is completely safe to say that fakebook knows most of the people who are on it (and their responses to a given event or stimulus) better than they know themselves.

CapStar362

simple solution for Chrome and FF ( if before 29 Chrome-fox version ) Ad-Block + download as extension... bam ads gone!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
simple solution for Chrome and FF ( if before 29 Chrome-fox version ) Ad-Block + download as extension... bam ads gone!

I've been using these

AdBlock Plus (about 8 months)
Facebook Ads Block (Started using this yesterday)
Flashblock (about 8 months)
Ghostery (about 8 months)
Lightbeam (started using this yesterday)
Print without Ads (about 8 months)

pyro424

Take note of how they can tell which song you are listening to (many apps that do this and now FB). This is the same way they do voice recognition. Years ago I would tell people they listening to what you are saying on the phone and record it all. If you say a certain key word they are watching for it will red flag your call and they will pay closer attention. This is before our hero snowden came out and before the smart phones were out. I am sure they will find a way to make good money off this too. Think of all the stats that will be collected for the TV and radio industry, music industry etc.

CapStar362

i trigger that crap all the time, with friends. i have NEVER had Feds pop at my door. ive used ALL the watchdog key words randomly and still nothing

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
i trigger that crap all the time, with friends. i have NEVER had Feds pop at my door. ive used ALL the watchdog key words randomly and still nothing

There are a very select words you have to say that will get you under federal investigation. Most of those words are secret code words, military related, and other random codes. Its a fluke if you actually stumble across such words/phrases. And the words/phrases change all the time (military operations get completed and code words 'expire', undercover cases get moved or solved and those codes go invalid...ect).

Saying 'gun kill knife murder death to democracy' wont do anything. Yes agencies have the ability to listen to conversations, but its like the CB world. EVERY SINGLE CB user has the ability to skip even if they are only using 4 watts max. You wont get in trouble for having that capability, but if you do something wrong/illegal and 'they' want to tag more onto your sentence, they will say something like " he was using illegal radio power" or "he was illegally broadcasting to a distant contact". They will make is sound bad.

You cant 'trip' any flags by saying flagged words and get in trouble (1 in a million chance you could get in trouble). People can listen to conversations on mobile devices without the persons consent ( I know how to view PC webcams and listen in on open mics...my and my brother do that to each other from time to time :) ). Just be knowledgeable about such things..

As or the tin foil hats, I've got mine on and its camo painted...come and get me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.