• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Failure Rate of TK-5210 AC Chargers Alarming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbfarley

Has anyone had any problems with the AC Desktop chargers for the TK-5210? We are experiencing a near 50% failure rate of the power supplies, leaving the viability of our fire department portables questionable. I have heard of one other department with a similar problem. How about you?

Av8tor56

Haven't heard of this problem. We have a couple of fire departments and police departments with the radios for over a year now and haven't had a single failure.

rbfarley

Age dependent?

It is possible that only a certain years of manufacture are affected. I have noticed that Kenwood has changed the manufacture of their power supply which leads me to believe that they recognized that they had a problem. It is unfortunate that they didn't step up to the plate to their existing loyal customers.

Av8tor56

Have you talked to your dealer? If there was a bad batch of chargers then they should know about it and be able to get you replacements. What part is failing? Is it the power supply or the charging cradle?

rbfarley

Have I talked to the dealer???

That's comical!! I have talked to the dealer extensively! They have assured me that they have taked to the top dawgs at Kenwood and they say that there is not a problem, yet they agree that we are replacing them at an unusual rate. So basically what they are saying is yes there is a problem, but it is not Kenwood's problem. The issue is the failure of the power supplies. They just stop producing the DC voltage on the secondary side of the power supply, rendering our public safety, operation-critical, communication devices inoperable. I could understand if this were an amateur radio, car stereo, scanner, but we are talking critical public safety communication devices. A failure of which could likely result in the death of a firefighter. It is sad.

Astro25

Are you talking about the KSC-32? I have hundreds in service and will rarely get one in with a repair across my bench....

Have not had any recent failures with new ones, either.

LTR

I am going to ask the same thing that Astro25 asked, are these chargers the KSC-32? If so, I have had a bunch of them fail also. My dealer stated that he has had numerous customers with the same problem. In ALL of the cases, the power supplies have a date code of 0407 stamped on them. All of mine were over a year old, so Kenwood would not warranty them.

Status
Not open for further replies.