Failure to download update

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Update: i used the personal hotspot on my iphone and it updated the firmware as it should. I guess this will be my workaround for now!
Several years ago, there was a string of "cannot connect" comments largely from a group of users that had a cable company ISP, and a specific model of modem from that provider. That specific modem was blocking access to ftp addresses. You've noted that you are on a fiber based provider. Makes me wonder if your update via the Uniden ftp address is being blocked, specifically, by the provider, or by some setting in their modem (or it's router, if you have a combo modem with a router). I'm on a fiber internet connection as well, but have had no issues. You may well be on a different one,

catsknr

Several years ago, there was a string of "cannot connect" comments largely from a group of users that had a cable company ISP, and a specific model of modem from that provider. That specific modem was blocking access to ftp addresses. You've noted that you are on a fiber based provider. Makes me wonder if your update via the Uniden ftp address is being blocked, specifically, by the provider, or by some setting in their modem (or it's router, if you have a combo modem with a router). I'm on a fiber internet connection as well, but have had no issues. You may well be on a different one,
I believe you are probably right. This is the first issue ive had with this ISP but what you say makes sense. Im gonna dig into it and ask some questions. In the meantime i will use my iphone personal hotspot for my laptop and do my upgrades. Thank you for the input!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe you are probably right. This is the first issue ive had with this ISP but what you say makes sense. Im gonna dig into it and ask some questions. In the meantime i will use my iphone personal hotspot for my laptop and do my upgrades. Thank you for the input!
When I was working at home, for a computer services company, I lost internet service in late afternoon. Policy was that if we could not connect, at home, then we were required to grab our company provided laptop & drive to the main office. Well, that's a good 45 minute drive, one way, and I would have gotten there with, at most, another 30 to 45 minutes before end of shift. But, like you, I used the personal hotspot on my iPhone and stayed home, with only a few minutes interruption.

catsknr

When I was working at home, for a computer services company, I lost internet service in late afternoon. Policy was that if we could not connect, at home, then we were required to grab our company provided laptop & drive to the main office. Well, that's a good 45 minute drive, one way, and I would have gotten there with, at most, another 30 to 45 minutes before end of shift. But, like you, I used the personal hotspot on my iPhone and stayed home, with only a few minutes interruption.
Living out in the sticks in Iowa its hit and miss. Sometimes you need to get creative to accomplish the simplest of tasks! This was one of those!

RT48

One way to determine if one's problem is with Uniden's ftp server specifically or with the ftp protocol being blocked more generally, is to try connecting to another company's ftp server. For instance, Adobe still maintains a publicly accessible ftp server:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.