Failure to download update

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsknr

I am trying to update my SDS200 from Sentinel. I get a message that says- Updating unit failed. Operation cancelled. I downloaded the Sentinel program off of the Uniden site so that shouldn't be a problem. Im running Windows 10 with S mode disabled. Any Thoughts?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever been able to update - and just this time failed?
Or, have you never been able to?

Try connecting to the computer directly, not through a USB hub.
Or, take the card out and use a card reader, if you have one.

catsknr

Have you ever been able to update - and just this time failed?
Or, have you never been able to?

Try connecting to the computer directly, not through a USB hub.
Or, take the card out and use a card reader, if you have one.
Ive not been successful at all. I just got the scanner from scanner master this week so im sure its up to date but i want to learn how to update. How would i download directly from the computer without the usb cable? Im very new to this and appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to update my SDS200 from Sentinel. I get a message that says- Updating unit failed. Operation cancelled. I downloaded the Sentinel program off of the Uniden site so that shouldn't be a problem. Im running Windows 10 with S mode disabled. Any Thoughts?

Is there anything in the error message that says "operation timed out"?

If so, are you using a satellite based service provider for your internet, like (Hughsnet)?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yes it says timed out. But im on fiber optic internet.

Just to clarify....

There are 2 separate steps involved in updating the database in your SDS200. When you update the database in Sentinel, it does not write it directly to the scanner.

Are you having a problem updating the master database in Sentinel on your computer from the internet, (this first step does not even need to have your scanner connected to the computer, so the USB cable is not involved in this step).

or are you having a problem writing to your scanner from Sentinel (connected with the USB cable after you have updated Sentinel on the computer in the first step)?

catsknr

Just to clarify....

There are 2 separate steps involved in updating the database in your SDS200. When you update the database in Sentinel, it does not write it directly to the scanner.

Are you having a problem updating the master database in Sentinel on your computer from the internet, (this first step does not even need to have your scanner connected to the computer, so the USB cable is not involved in this step).

or are you having a problem writing to your scanner from Sentinel (connected with the USB cable after you have updated Sentinel on the computer in the first step)?

Yes. I am having a problem writing to my scanner from Sentinel. I am not actually trying to add a favorites list or anything. Im simply trying to update the scanner to the latest version.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yes. I am having a problem writing to my scanner from Sentinel. I am not actually trying to add a favorites list or anything. Im simply trying to update the scanner to the latest version.

Have you put your scanner in "mass storage" before trying to write the database to the scanner?

Are you trying to update the database or the firmware?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ive not been successful at all. I just got the scanner from scanner master this week so im sure its up to date but i want to learn how to update. How would i download directly from the computer without the usb cable? Im very new to this and appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Unless you paid extra for ScannerMaster to "optimize" your scanner, the database on the scanner itself likely will be well out of date.

And, just to confirm, you did download and install Sentinel 2.02, revision 1, correct? Select the "Help" drop-down menu in Sentinel, then click on "About" to verify the installed version.

catsknr

Unless you paid extra for ScannerMaster to "optimize" your scanner, the database on the scanner itself likely will be well out of date.

And, just to confirm, you did download and install Sentinel 2.02, revision 1, correct? Select the "Help" drop-down menu in Sentinel, then click on "About" to verify the installed version.
Yes. Version 1 revision 01

catsknr

Have you put your scanner in "mass storage" before trying to write the database to the scanner?

Are you trying to update the database or the firmware?

Yes I put it in mass storage before trying. I am trying to update firmware.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Im sorry about that. It is Version 2.02 version 01

OK, if you are trying to update the firmware, the computer has to contact the Uniden servers before it can write the firmware file to the card in the scanner. You are most likely experiencing a problem with your internet provider. Both updates (database and firmware) are sent by FTP. Your ISP may be blocking the FTP port.

The "time out" error is a classic symptom of that.

catsknr

OK, if you are trying to update the firmware, the computer has to contact the Uniden servers before it can write the firmware file to the card in the scanner. You are most likely experiencing a problem with your internet provider. Both updates (database and firmware) are sent by FTP. Your ISP may be blocking the FTP port.

The "time out" error is a classic symptom of that.

You are likely correct. When i get to stage 1: checking uniden server that is where i get the pop up. I never ran into a problem with this internet before but it seems a likely explanation. I have no idea how to correct it tho.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Try this....

this is the address Sentinel uses to update the database and the firmware:

ftp://ftp.homepatrol.com

Click on that link (or copy and paste it to your browser's address bar) and see if you get a screen that is asking you to login to the server. You won't be able to login, Sentinel handles that internally.

If you don't see the login window, your ISP is most likely blocking FTP transfers.

If you do see a login screen, that means you can reach the server, but your ISP has too much latency time in their FTP transfers causing Sentinel to time out.

In either case, you need to contact your ISP to have them remedy the problem, or take a laptop and your scanner to somewhere with public WiFi.

catsknr

Try this....

Click on that link (or copy and paste it to your browser's address bar) and see if you get a screen that is asking you to login to the server. You won't be able to login, Sentinel handles that internally.

If you don't see the login window, your ISP is most likely blocking FTP transfers.

If you do see a login screen, that means you can reach the server, but your ISP has too much latency time in their FTP transfers causing Sentinel to time out.

In either case, you need to contact your ISP to have them remedy the problem, or take a laptop and your scanner to somewhere with public WiFi.

Ok. Thank you so much for the information! I will take the laptop and scanner elsewhere and try it. And i will also contact my ISP and see what they say. Thanks again!

catsknr

Ok. Thank you so much for the information! I will take the laptop and scanner elsewhere and try it. And i will also contact my ISP and see what they say. Thanks again!
Update: i used the personal hotspot on my iphone and it updated the firmware as it should. I guess this will be my workaround for now!

catsknr

Try this....

[/

Update: i used the personal hotspot on my iphone and it updated the firmware as it should. I guess this will be my workaround for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.