SDRTrunk Failure to Record Audio for DMR Tier 3 System

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to use SDRTrunk to monitor a DMR Tier 3 system. I have imported the info using RR and I am able to listen, but even when set to record, SDRTrunk is not generating audio files. I have used SDRTrunk to monitor a P25 Phase 2 system and I am able to get audio files. The only thing I can see that is different is that under Aliases > View By Identifier, the first column (Identifier) is blank. The Alias and Group column, however, is populated. For the P25 system the identifier column is of the form: "Talkgroup:#### Protocol:APCO-25".

Does recording not work on DMR systems or is there a step I am missing for DMR systems?

I am using version 0.6.1-beta-1

C_615

Premium Subscriber
You will have to download the alias list (if RR has that info for that system) and then set them to record. SDRTrunk needs to know what to record
View attachment 158819
I had already done that. The first column is now populated, but there is still no audio recordings being produced.

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed in the "now playing" module of SDRTrunk that the From and To numbers do not match the TG IDs shown in RR. Can someone help me understand these "Group Calls" and how the relate to the TG IDs. I am not that familiar with how DMR systems work.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I ran across this on the SDRTrunk github page. I created a new Alias List with no spaces and now have audio recordings.

Need help with alias's not working · Issue #355 · DSheirer/sdrtrunk

I have a bunch of alias lists and many have spaces in the name and they all record. The op's issue in the linked thread started when he used a script to convert radio reference csv to xml and inserted it into his playlist and may have had wrong formatting or corrupt data.

1711109957567.png

Either way, you have it recording now,

I have noticed in the "now playing" module of SDRTrunk that the From and To numbers do not match the TG IDs shown in RR. Can someone help me understand these "Group Calls" and how the relate to the TG IDs. I am not that familiar with how DMR systems work.

To, would be the talk group id the radio is talking on. Suffolk Bus is tg 17 on my counties system.
From, (7126402) is the radio id that is transmitting.

1711110491890.png

In the bottom pane, 0000106 is the dispatcher console and 5121007 is the radio id of one of the officers and 119 is the talk group id.

1711110840616.png

C_615

Premium Subscriber
Exactly the same as P25s - the group calls have TGIDs (talk group ID aka Channel). There is basically no difference other than special functions
What was confusing me is that the TG IDs that show in the TO column does not match the IDs in the RR database. For example, why would a TG ID in the RR database of 200016 show up as 3048 in SDRTrunk? For the same transmission,200016 is what shows up on my SDS100, but 3048 in SDRTrunk. I could eventually do a manual crosswalk, but is
there a formula I could use?

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of alias lists and many have spaces in the name and they all record. The op's issue in the linked thread started when he used a script to convert radio reference csv to xml and inserted it into his playlist and may have had wrong formatting or corrupt data.

View attachment 158836

Either way, you have it recording now,

To, would be the talk group id the radio is talking on. Suffolk Bus is tg 17 on my counties system.
From, (7126402) is the radio id that is transmitting.

View attachment 158837

In the bottom pane, 0000106 is the dispatcher console and 5121007 is the radio id of one of the officers and 119 is the talk group id.

View attachment 158838
Thanks. That was helpful, because it allowed me to notice the difference between the TG ID in RR and what shows in SDRTrunk. I need to figure out why there is a difference and how to do a crosswalk.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you did an import, the tg id's in SDRT should be the same as Radio Reference. Exception being if there are new tg's on the system that have not been identified and submitted to Radio Reference.

C_615

Premium Subscriber
If you did an import, the tg id's in SDRT should be the same as Radio Reference. Exception being if there are new tg's on the system that have not been identified and submitted to Radio Reference.
The IDs imported into the SDRTrunk Alias list correctly, but the TG IDs in the “now playing” aren’t the same. For example RR and my SDS100 shows 200016, but the TG ID That shows up in SDRTrunk now playing is 3048 and it’s for the same exact transmission because I’m watching both SDRTrunk and my SDS100.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you can link to the system in the database? And also post a screenshot of SDRT when there is activity?

Kazzaw

Database Admin
I have a feeling you may be getting confused as to how SDRTrunk displays call info

In the image below on the group calls, you can see the from column (just) is the Radio ID of the radios making the call. The To column is the TGID of the group call

IMG_2212.jpeg

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I have a feeling you may be getting confused as to how SDRTrunk displays call info

In the image below on the group calls, you can see the from column (just) is the Radio ID of the radios making the call. The To column is the TGID of the group call

View attachment 158858
I am now up to speed on what SDRTrunk is showing in that column. Here is the problem. Let's say RR TG ID of 200101 is showing up active on my SDS100. That same conversation is showing up in the To Column in SDRTrunk as 3493, which is not in the RR database. That's also what shows up when I stream to Rdio-Scanner. In the streaming files that SDRTrunk is generating, it is the 4-digit TG ID that is getting included in the filename.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Here is the problem. Let's say RR TG ID of 200101 is showing up active on my SDS100. That same conversation is showing up in the To Column in SDRTrunk as 3493, which is not in the RR database.

Any chance you can link to the system in the database? And also post a screenshot of SDRT when there is activity?
? ? ?

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I am now up to speed on what SDRTrunk is showing in that column. Here is the problem. Let's say RR TG ID of 200101 is showing up active on my SDS100. That same conversation is showing up in the To Column in SDRTrunk as 3493, which is not in the RR database. That's also what shows up when I stream to Rdio-Scanner. In the streaming files that SDRTrunk is generating, it is the 4-digit TG ID that is getting included in the filename.

View attachment 158858
I think something similar to what was reported in this issue is what is going on with this system.