Fairchild AFB Refueling Boom frequencies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjrjr507

Hi Milair listeners!

Does anyone in the spokane area have the Milair Fairchild AFB refueling boom frequencies they commonly use ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I live in Libby, Mt. and they do fly overs here. ar 9/ ar 9A I have the normal freq's they use 238.9 and 292.6

Bye for now and thanks again

Mainsail

The Boomer doesn’t often talk to the receiver, and the tanker pilots don’t either. The whole thing is choreographed through timing. The boomer guides the receiver using PDI lights on the underside of the tanker. Once the boom is connected the boomer can speak to the receiver crew through the boom’s electrical connection on interphone. The entire operation is designed so that radio transmissions are not necessary.

I know, I didn’t answer your specific question, sorry.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Mainsail said:
The Boomer doesn’t often talk to the receiver, and the tanker pilots don’t either. The whole thing is choreographed through timing. The boomer guides the receiver using PDI lights on the underside of the tanker. Once the boom is connected the boomer can speak to the receiver crew through the boom’s electrical connection on interphone. The entire operation is designed so that radio transmissions are not necessary.

I know, I didn’t answer your specific question, sorry.

Don't know where you get your info from but here in TN near three air refueling tracks i hear the boomer and reciever talk all the time. They are very chatty on occasions. But, like you said when they connect they usually use the boom interphone but on some occasions (the B-52 all the time) they don't use the boom interphone and go strictly with the radio. I heard a KC-135 refueling a BUFF on AR-203 (the track nearest Nashville) and the boomer asked if he wanted to use the interphone and he said their B-52 didn't have it. And i quote the BUFF pilot: "the latest and greatest, we don't have". So yes, you can definitely hear the boom operator, the pilots of the tanker (as they're trying to find each other prior to refuel), and the reciever. As for the timing part, yes they do have the lights as a line up guidance type thing and they may well conduct refuels silently on a mission such as overseas, but here in the good ole US, you can hear plenty on the refuel freqs.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
CORN said:
... As for the timing part, yes they do have the lights as a line up guidance type thing and they may well conduct refuels silently on a mission such as overseas, but here in the good ole US, you can hear plenty on the refuel freqs.

The interphone was specifically installed for non-radio comms in combat zones to keep the"bad guys" from knowing what's going on.

cjrjr507

canders2 said:
Try 320.9 and 238.9
Hi canders2 !

Thanks for the info. I do have 238.9 in my scanner as that is the AR 9 & 9A primary freq.
The sec. freq is 292.6 if there are 2 tankers in the air. the 320.9 I did not have so will try it.

Thanks again, cjrjr507

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Mainsail said:
Maybe 17+ years of flying heavies and doing ARs? ;)

So you never used the radio when doing AR hookups? If thats so then times have changed, at least in the continental US. From my experience as a hobbyist i can attest that they do talk on those AR freqs and they do not always utilize the interphone. Sometimes they do but they are always communicating via the radio while in pre-contact and elsewhere. Matter of fact on the tracks near me 90 percent of the time they use the frequencies while on the boom. I guess i read your post to the gentleman who asked a question about frequencies for a particular area as discouraging. I took it as they don't use radio communication, stop looking further. In my experience of listening, they DO use radio communication all the time off the boom and on it at least inside the borders of the US. CJRJR507, you can hear the comms. The going silent thing by the lights, boom interphone, etc isn't really an issue here.

Mainsail

Well, I’m not saying you won’t ever hear anything, after all, you have heard communications during ARs. Most of the ARs in the US are going to be training missions, so you will hear a lot of chatter as the crews work out the learning. Operational ARs will be much quieter and more business like, but really it depends on the crew, the mission, and the orders. Some will be chatty, some will be silent.

I never meant to imply you should stop looking! Hey, that’s what makes the hobby fun! I only meant to offer some insight on what’s happening up there and to suggest a reason why you might not be hearing anything.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
I hear alot of air refueling in nc.they do alot of emergency seperations.they talk about who is certified and who isnt.They also ask for tail numbers.Lots of comms going on.

cjrjr507

I hear the same stuff too.

I hear alot of air refueling in nc.they do alot of emergency seperations.they talk about who is certified and who isnt.They also ask for tail numbers.Lots of comms going on.

Hi tactcom42 and all milair listeners

I get a lot of comms from the tanker pilot and aircraft pilot doing emergency seperations too. Also get tail numbers and chit chat talk sometimes. I had one aircraft pilot said he had one try at hooking up to the boom but the darn boom was moving back and forth driving them nuts. He did get hooked up but he had to keep his plane at an 30 degree angle to the boom to get refueled. Sounds like fun. I get a lot of calls for 119.22 and 335.5000 and some other ones. If I hear anything good I will I will let you know.

cjrjr507

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber

Emergency seps are for practice and tail number info is for documentation purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.